Barnstable High School's Award-Winning Student News Site

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

Polls

What was your favorite childhood summer getaway?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

BHS Boys Hockey Preview

BHS+hopes+for+a+win+over+their+rivals+Falmouth.+
Photo by CapeSportsMedia
BHS hopes for a win over their rivals Falmouth.

Barnstable Boys Hockey is back and preparing for nothing short of a successful season. Wednesday, Dec. 13 is the home opener for the RedHawks, they will be going up against the Division 1 Dartmouth Indians, who finished with a record of 10-10 last season. 

“Our team has a lot of potential and a good start is vital to our success,” senior captain Chad Tordone said.

The Red Hawks lost two key varsity players from last season, Coley Buckler and Shea Semprini. Both players were at the top of the team for points. Buckler with 24 and Semprini with 18. 

The Red Hawks are relying on the improvement of previous varsity players, including but not limited to, third year varsity player sophomore Chase Field and senior captain Tordone. On defense, the Red Hawks will rely on improvement from senior defenseman Conor Cattabriga and junior Chase Semprini. 

Field had the leading number of points for the Red Hawks last year with 30; behind Field was Tordone with 26 points.

“I’m hoping for a 17-3 record this year,” said Cattabriga, “only losing to Xaverian, Arlington Catholic and maybe one other team.”

The Red Hawks were 3-3 in the Cape and Islands League. Losing to Falmouth twice last year, tying with DY, splitting games with Sandwich 1-1, and a clean sweep over Nauset with two wins. 

If the Red Hawks had won their second game against Sandwich, they would have been Cape and Islands League champs. This year, the Red Hawks are hoping to win the Cape and Islands League, as they were so close last year.

The Red Hawks finished their preseason with a loss against Braintree last week, who finished 11th place in the division one 2022-2023 season. The team also lost a scrimmage to Plymouth North, and tied Plymouth South. 

The Red Hawk’s home opener is tomorrow, Dec. 13, at 7:00 P.M. The gamer is free for students with student ID, $5 for adults and $3 for seniors. The Red Hawks home arena is the Hyannis Youth and Community Center. The game will also be broadcasted on B2BTV on Youtube.

Captain Chad Thordone in the 22 to 23 season (Photo by CapeSportsMedia)