Graham Hempstead Talks About His New Album

Isabelle Bresette, Staff Writer

Graham Hempstead is a BHS alumni from the class of 2020. He is currently a student at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida, where he is continuing to play music as frequently as possible. Hempstead has been working on an album for the past year which will be released very soon. He was kind enough to answer a few questions for BHS Insight with his release date right around the corner. 

1. What first got you into music? I always loved to listen to music, but my dad was the first one to put a guitar in my hands.
  2. How would you describe the music that you typically create? I don’t exactly know what genre it is, sometimes it’s funky, sometimes it’s a little more grungy or sometimes it has a reggae vibe to it. I guess it depends on how I’m feeling when I write the song. 
  3. Who would you most like to collaborate with if it could be anyone alive or dead? Good question! If I could play with any band it would be the Grateful Dead but I would lose it over a studio session with a guy like [Jimi] Hendrix because his style was so unique. 
  4. What are some of your favorite things to do aside from making music? I like hanging outside with my friends or going to the beach and relaxing. 
  5. Where have you performed? I’ve performed at a number of restaurants and breweries around Cape Cod such as Mattakeese Wharf, the Bookstore, and the Dolphin. Throughout the course of the school year, I lived in Newport and played a few locations there, and more recently I’ve been playing around St. Petersburg Florida!
  6. What is your favorite song to perform? I can’t say I have a favorite song to perform, they all have a different groove and I like different songs depending on the energy of the night and the location. 
  7. Who is your greatest inspiration? Easily, my dad, he taught me how to play and introduced me to the world of improvisation in music. Playing guitar by listening to the rest of the band and playing what I feel is right. 
  8. When can we expect to hear your album? Haven’t set a release date but expect it very soon!
  9. What inspired the songs on your album? Many of them were inspired by past girlfriends or girls that I’ve met, otherwise, if I get myself into trouble I get inspired! 
  10. Which song is your favorite? My favorite song on the album is “mildly hidin”. It’s a simple funky groove, but it’s fun to play and sing! 
  11. How long have you been working on this? Yousef (my producer) and I probably put 120 hours in the studio over the course of about eight months. It was a lot of work putting it together, but I’m happy with the product and I’m excited to see how it does. 
  12. Is there anything you would like to add about your music? Yes! This summer check out the band I play in with my brother and a couple of his buddies. We’re called the barn boys and we will be playing around town. Stay updated with our Instagram @thebarnboysband also make sure to check out the album coming soon!!