Barnstable High School's Award-Winning Student News Site

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

Polls

What was your favorite childhood summer getaway?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

5 Frights For Your Night

Frightening, fearsome Halloween Films to Make You Scream
Photo by Naseeb Thapa-Magar
These are the films featured in the story. Did we miss your favorite? Post in the comments below

Happy Halloween, BHS! This year’s spooky month is coming to an end  and you know what that means. It’s Halloween night. So grab your candy and other treats and get ready to have the struggle of your life when you scroll through Netflix contemplating what to watch. To make life a bit easier, here’s a list of Top 5 movies and shows that might keep you up all Halloween night.  All but The Shining are now streaming on Netflix.

Starting off strong at number one is The Shining. This classic horror  movie was based on the Stephen King novel of the same name. It’s about an author named Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) who becomes the caretaker of an isolated hotel in Colorado called the “Overlook Hotel” with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall) and son, Danny (Danny Llyod). Things go south when Danny gets horrific visions that lead to Jack discovering the hotel’s dark secret. As Jack is tormented by the ghosts, he’s driven to complete madness as he turns into a homicidal maniac hellbent with the plan of killing his family. You can find this movie on HBO Max.

Number two on this list is a somewhat recent horror movie about demons, past regrets and the church. The Pope’s Exorcist (1987) is about Father Gabriele Amorth (Russell Crowe), a chief exorcist for the Vatican, fighting against a demon who possesses  a young boy and his sister. Things only get worse when the demon taunts him about a past he would rather forget. 

Number three changes up pace a bit from movie to show. This terrifying 10- episode long miniseries is called The Haunting of Hill House. It’s about the Crain family and mainly focuses on the children: Steven, Shirley, Theo, Nell and Luke. Haunted by the spirits of their old childhood home, the plot switches from the past to present as we see the effects  of their trauma caused by Hill House. 

Number four continues the show trend. Archive 81 is about a archivist Dan Turner (Mamoudou Athie) who takes on the job of repairing old video tapes from the 90s. As he fixes the tapes a dark horror comes from them and the life of Melody Pendras unfolds as she documents her research about a cult.

And finally number five is the Fear Street trilogies, 1, 2 and 3. Set in 1994, 1978 and 1666. All movies focus on the same mysterious curse that plagues the small town. That is until a group of teenage friends uncover the secrets and an evil that is responsible for every brutal murder that was committed for over 300 years.

And that’s a wrap folks, tell us what must-see horror movie I missed in the comments below or on the poll we’ll be having on Instagram @bhsinsight.