BHS Adapts to COVID-19 Restrictions

Jose Rivera, Staff Writer

A year has passed and COVID-19 still creates obstacles to students’ daily lives both in Barnstable Schools and  worldwide. In Massachusetts, the mandate requiring students and staff to wear masks has been extended to Jan. 15, 2022. But locally there is some good news: As of of Oct 22, 2021 Barnstable public schools had its lowest positive cases count since the opening this year, with only three positive cases.

I’d rather be in person.. It’s much easier to teach with the kids in front of you and they can’t hide behind black screens, 

— Hutchinson

This school year, restrictions drastically changed since last year’s stricter measures. The social distance rule was cut in half to 3 feet and the one-way hallways are no more. All students are back in school and there are no options to remote in or be hybridAll students are back in school and there is no option to remote in or be hybrid. For math teacher Lynne Hutchinson, last year’s restrictions completely reshaped her teaching experience. “I’d rather be in person.. It’s much easier to teach with the kids in front of you and they can’t hide behind black screens.” 

COVID-19 also forced a lot of students to stay home and as a result it put an obstacle for students and teacher bonding. Junior Amelia Cassidy said “I like this year compared to last year and it’s a lot easier without the one-way hallways.” 

Each class last year had a mask break that shortened the class time. Now this year a class only gets one mask break every day so the students get more time to learn.