Class Teaches Real Life Nursing Skills

Photo by Ana Coutinho

CNA students practice taking blood pressure on each other.

Liam Russo, Staff Writer

When most people hear about a “Certified Nursing Assistant” (or CNA), they tend to imagine a career in a nursing home. But while it’s true that nursing homes demand most of the industry’s CNAs, there are myriad opportunities to utilize this certification elsewhere in the medical field. But what exactly is a CNA, and what are the benefits to taking the CNA course in high school?

The class is formed to be an interactive environment to actively teach students how an actual nursing assistant works in their field. And although the class has a formal textbook, Mrs. Kathy Larochelle teaches each chapter with collaboration in mind to create a rich learning atmosphere for her students. After reading through the textbook, students practice tasks such as making beds, positioning, and checking vitals in the CNA classroom.

And the classroom itself, is specifically designed for CNA students complete with beds, trays, and equipment necessary to surround students with an environment identical to the work setting of a real CNA.

Although the program requires an in depth amount of time and persistence, CNA students agree that the course has helped them in pursuing a career in the medical field.

“As far as living up to expectations, it did and then some. It has taught me what I have to do when I begin a career in nursing as well as what I should expect from the job,” said Jaycob Young, the only male CNA student this year.

And being the minority in the classroom and throughout the nursing field has only boosted Young’s confidence in pursuing nursing through college. “It has motivated me to a certain extent, just to prove to the girls that a guy can become a nurse too,” remarked Young.

The CNA class also counts as a personal development credit, which can be taken as an option for students who still haven’t fulfilled the requirement. Although most students in the course plan on continuing in the field, the credit boosted their confidence in signing up for the course.

“I needed a personal development but it was also something I was interested in, said Jackie Beynor. “I’m applying to nursing school, so I figured it would be a great way to get a head start in the field,” she added.

Over the winter months, the class has visited the Mayflower Nursing Home four times for an acquired 22 hours each. At first, students worked in pairs to provide care to the patients, but on the fourth and final day, students took their knowledge and charisma into their own hands to bathe, feed, dress and most importantly care for the patients on their own.

“Being able to talk with the residents teaches you so much about the world they’ve lived in and helps nursing assistants to care for them as a person, not a patient,” said Liz Gorrill, senior CNA student.

After passing the Red Cross certification test at the end of the year and all 22 work hours and 64 class hours, students can apply for jobs as a CNA in college or even intern at the Mayflower Nursing Home the next summer.

According to the Red Cross website, a CNA certification provides for the perfect stepping stone into future careers in the medical field and should be considered for any student with interest in a care career.