New Proposal for Senior Class Trip

Photo by Photo from MCT Campus

Seniors will be going to Six Flags for their class trip this year from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. with other high schools around the state.

Julianne Santos, Staff Writer

You and your friends run to your favorite roller coaster ride on a sunny, warm day in May only to be faced with a line the length of the Mississippi river. A sign greets you with the words “45 minute wait” written on it with white chalk and a smiley face that’s not too reassuring. Imagine if this line just disappeared, cutting your wait time in half so that you can enjoy your senior trip completely.  Now, your prayers have been answered by the amusement gods at Six Flags New England, creating the all-time thriller for college bound seniors– Grad Night.

In years prior, Barnstable High School seniors have traveled the three hour trip to Agawam, Mass where one of New England’s favorite amusements parks is, Six Flags. After discovering Six Flags held a Grad Night last year, senior class advisor Mr. Brent Jansen, jumped into action to find out more. Since then, Jansen and fellow class advisors are looking into Grad Night as the class trip. Even with the proposal for Grad Night, Jansen explained that the senior trip can go either way. He further explained that the class of 2014 may not even decide to attend Grad Night, “It’s just an idea” he said. Last year’s graduating class avoided Six Flags all together, heading to Canobie Lake Park in Salem, New Hampshire.

“It’s all up to the class of 2014, what we plan is what the class wants to do” said Jansen.

Although the trip is still proposed, it seems to be a hit with the seniors. “I’d love to do it. It won’t be hot. There won’t be a lot of lines,” said senior Tori Zent.

Starting last year, Six Flags hosted its very first Grad night for seniors across New England. Grad Night is an, “exclusive celebration for graduating high school seniors, including entertainment, catered meal, and five hours of exclusive ride time,” according to Six Flags New England’s event website.

In May, seniors from surrounding New England high schools with be able to enjoy the amusement park for a whole night of fun and games without the annoyance of the general public. Most importantly, this means that the long, hand sweating 45 minute wait for rides will be lowered tremendously, according to Jansen.

For Grad night, there’s no need to bring extra cash or mom’s homemade peanut butter sandwich. The entire event will be catered by the hosting Six Flags. Assortments of different varieties of food will be served to the hungry seniors. If you ever get tired of the spinning roller coaster rides and rows of amusement games, you can head on down to the main stadium of Six Flags for a dance party with booming music, Jansen said.

Grad Night will start at 8 p.m. and last until 1 a.m. If that isn’t enough time to wear out the high schoolers, Six Flags will be allowing the schools to arrive to the park as early as they would like, however, the general public will still be allowed in the park until 8 p.m. Although the event ends at 1 a.m., Jansen plans to leave the park at 12:30 a.m if the senior class decides to go. According to Jansen, the proposed trip will cost around $60-70 per student.

One of the biggest issues with    the new proposal for the senior trip is the seniors’ safety, not at Six Flags, but getting home afterwards, Jansen said. Because Six Flags is three hours away, and the buses will depart at 12:30 a.m., students will be arriving back to Cape Cod around 4 a.m. Just with celebration, the fear of drowsy and distracted senior drivers.

In addition to the fear of accidents, the younger students of the senior class who are under the age of 18 years old, are not allowed to drive between the hours of 12:00 a.m.  to 5 a.m. according to Massachusetts Junior Operating Law.

“Ultimately, it’s the choice of the students and the parents whether to let them drive home or have their parents pick them up. But its still a big concern,” said Jansen.