Cape Cod Community College

Four C’s (not the ice cream)

Emma Needham, Staff Writer

Here on Cape Cod, we are lucky enough to have a great local college that has supported our community for years on end. It has educated our teachers, nurses, firefighters and chefs, and that’s only the start.

Cape Cod Community College delivers educational programs and services to meet the diverse needs of the residents of Cape Cod, the Canal Region, the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket and the Greater Plymouth Area. According to its website, Cape Cod Community College is “the only comprehensive college on Cape Cod, and offers 32 associate in arts degrees, 32 associate in science degrees and 56 career certificates in a wide variety of program areas.”

Maybe it’s the desire to get off Cape Cod after spending the first eighteen years of your life here that makes students choose colleges over the bridge to further their education. But for some, the opportunity that “Four C’s” presents is too good to pass up.

For senior Abbie Wiinikainen, paying for a year of college when you are unsure of what you want to do for a career is a waste of money and time.

“You could go to Four C’s and work a part time job, while figuring out your plans for the future without putting yourself into debt,” she said.

The national average for tuition for one year at 4-year university is $23,066, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, while community colleges cost an average of $9,308 per academic year.

High school graduates who find they need to work while in college may discover that community college schedules are far more flexible than those provided by a four-year institution. These schools, like Four C’s, are accustomed to catering to adult students who are juggling professional and family responsibilities along with their studies. Community colleges typically offer evening, weekend and online options to help these students work their academics around the rest of their activities.

Instead of spending thousands of dollars at a private university towards a major that you are less than sure of, consider attending a community college while you are making your decision. Classes cost less, so you will have the opportunity to explore interests that you might not have otherwise pursued.

Four C’s is a great opportunity to not break the bank while trying to achieve a college degree. Even doing one year at a community college to get your core classes completed would save so much money instead of taking the same classes at a college that you’d have to take out loans for in the first year.

Based on your financial situation, personal needs and your academic dreams, community college just might be the place for you.