Stressed Spelled Backwards is Desserts: Some Tips For Having Stress-Free Holidays

Linnea Fawkes, Staff Writer

It’s the holiday season and along with the holidays comes unwanted stress. Sure, you probably love this time of year, but not all of it! Creating memories shouldn’t hurt your wallet or result in serious panic.

According to “All One Health,” 69 percent of people are stressed out during the holidays and 51 percent of people are stressed out about the pressure to give or get gifts. You may ask yourself, why are people so stressed out? How can I catch a break during the holidays?

Luckily, there are many answers to these questions. Lack of money, shopping decisions, deadlines, parties, strained family relationships and the idea of a perfect holiday, are some of the main causes of holiday stress.

The American Psychological Association conducted a survey in 2006, and the results indicated that identifying healthy strategies for managing stress is critical to the mind and body. Pay attention to stress and find healthy ways to manage it.

When a loved one dies, a couple divorces or breaks up, the holidays can bring on an empty feeling during this joyful season. Gaining weight through the temptation of traditional meals can tip the scale, literally.

Rest assured, there are many creative ways to make the season bright. Getting plenty of exercise will help with stress relief. Exercise stimulates the production of endorphins in the brain, triggering a positive feeling in the body, boosting mood and reducing stress. English teacher, Mary Gagnon, runs near Scorton Creek as a way to destress. Her family also looks forward every year to playing an outdoor game of football.

Commit at least 15 minutes a day for yourself, as your own personal gift. Being by yourself, or doing something you enjoy can make a world of difference. Lily Davidson, Sophomore, likes to take relaxing baths and watch Christmas movies to unwind.

“I get cozy in my onesie, eat lots of food and drink hot chocolate,” said Davidson.

You should set a budget, so you don’t overspend. A 2015 Gallup Poll reported that the average person spends $830 a year on gifts. A more reasonable idea could possibly be participating in a yankee swap or secret Santa with your family and friends, saving you lots of money and unnecessary stress inducing exchanges.

Consider volunteering your time to help a local charity, as it can be a fulfilling experience. Helping others by donating money, clothing, toys, and other items could make someone’s day. Over the last couple of years, I have volunteered my time at the children’s Christmas Fair at Our Lady of Victory Parish. Children come in and choose gifts for their relatives, and volunteers of all ages wrap gifts so the children can enjoy the spirit of giving.

From a very young age, my aunt and uncle involved me in volunteering my time to do chores. The money I had earned from working went directly towards purchasing clothing to dress a live doll for Christmas. Consider sending a care package to our military service members who are unable to be at home this time of year.

Finding your inner peace and daily balance is the key to pure happiness.

“Only you can control your own behavior and actions,” said Gagnon.

Yoga and meditation can be soothing to your soul, when you feel overwhelmed by all the “to-dos.”

Who doesn’t love sampling desserts during the holidays? Just remember to do so in moderation. Cooking and baking is a cultural pastime of sharing recipes from one generation to another. The classic turkey or ham dinner is eagerly awaited by relatives, as well as your grandma’s classic pies and your mother’s cookies. Cooking is definitely a holiday highlight, that can be an enjoyable way to bond with friends and family.

Going tech -free may offer you more time and rest than you may expect. Taking a break from social media and everyday apps isn’t that bad. “We need to unplug, we stress ourselves out with technology,”said Gagnon. Technology is sadly almost taking over the holidays. Instead, try the holidays without cell phones during meals or gifts.

Perfection is overrated, as seen in the Griswold’s Family Christmas Vacation. Your home does not need to be picture perfect, like Better Homes and Gardens. A simple holiday get together with family and friends is all you need to celebrate the season.