Barnstable High School: The Musical

Isabelle Barrett, Staff Writer

The Barnstable High School Drama Club has put on a haunted house every fall for decades. This year, however, the club has traded it’s spooky maze for something a bit less terrifying: a production of Disney’s High School Musical. 

This particular play was a popular choice among the Drama Club. Staff director and head of the Drama Club  Jeff Billard said, “It was something [the cast] watched over and over again when they were little. It’s special for a lot of people.” But, it was more than just the nostalgia that compelled them to make this choice. “It has an interesting message about people coming out of their comfort zones,” he added.

The Drama Club hopes that the play’s family-friendliness, joyful spirit, and appeal to all ages will encourage everyone to come watch.  Student choreographer Lindsay Massarsky, who plays Ryan Evans, said, “It’s the happiest show we’ve done so far. I’m hoping for people to see it and enjoy all the songs they know and love.”

The play will be the Drama Club’s own interpretation of the story, while at the same time maintaining it’s integrity.There will be songs not only from the film but from the Broadway version, like “Cellular fusion” and “Counting on You”, which takes place when Gabriella competes at the scholastic decathlon. Additionally, the play is double-casted, so each time you see the play it might be a little different; for example, one Troy’s interpretation of the character may differ from the other, which is true in any play.

Another unique aspect of this production is that it is student directed by sophomore Julia Wiseman and seniors Nora Canaday and Maddie Lamothe.

The girls are cast in the play as well. Canaday, who will play Gabriella Montez, commented on the experience of both acting and directing simultaneously. “It’s hard as a director to distinguish between acting and directing,” she said. Both Canaday and Wiseman agreed that seeing what they had envisioned for the show come alive on stage will be rewarding.             There is a certain pressure that comes with portraying characters that everyone has seen on television countless times. Wiseman, a brunette, will be playing Sharpay Evans, who is notorious for her blonde locks. Wiseman said she has faced criticism about not dying her hair. Regardless, she is still excited about the role and to “unleash her inner mean girl.”

On a similar note, Canaday said the audience should “be open to change but know it will be the same amount of fun.”The cast is more enthusiastic about the production. Senior Terrence Moos, who will be playing Troy Bolton’s best friend Chad Danforth described this opportunity as his “dream role.”

The members of the Drama Club can promise one thing about the show: there will be energy! This play is going to be filled with singing, music, joy, and color. So, come see the BHSDC perform starting November 17, and make sure you bring your voice because sing-alongs are strongly encouraged.

High School Musical will take place on Nov. 17, 18, 19, 24 and 25. Tickets can be bought online at BHSDC.org.