Gyra Wins National Kennedy Center Honor

The Kennedy Center/Stephen Sondheim Inspirational Teacher Award-winner Michael Gyra and BHS graduate Russell Brillant pose in Gyras classroom. Brillant, a former astronomy student, nominated Gyra for the award last fall.

Photo by Cate Harrington

The Kennedy Center/Stephen Sondheim Inspirational Teacher Award-winner Michael Gyra and BHS graduate Russell Brillant pose in Gyra’s classroom. Brillant, a former astronomy student, nominated Gyra for the award last fall.

Cate Harrington, Staff Writer

Barnstable High School astronomy teacher Mr. Michael Gyra has just been awarded a 2014 Kennedy Center Stephen Sondheim Inspirational Teacher Award, a national honor accompanied by $10,000.

Gyra, one of six award recipients, was nominated by former student Russell Brillant, who graduated in 2013 and took Gyra’s astronomy class as a senior.

Last spring, Brillant said he was speaking with his journalism teacher Michele Netto about how Gyra had inspired him. He mentioned to her that “if [he] could nominate Gyra for a teaching award, [he] would,” so she encouraged him to do so.

Brillant pointed out that while almost all of Gyra’s students think he’s a great teacher, few do anything to give back to him. Brillant said that there is a difference between just thinking and taking action.

This award came as a surprise to even Gyra himself because Brilliant kept it a secret. “I am absolutely blown away, I had no idea,” said Gyra. “It came as such a surprise and the idea it came from Russell made it even better.”

“It was much better as a surprise,” said Brillant.

Gyra deflected all credit of winning the award to Brillant. “There was no gain in it for him,” said Gyra. “He took time out of his day to write a 500-word essay.”

In the essay Brilliant wrote (see attached link) he stated that he would love for someone to one day call Gyra and say, “Hey, I’m giving you something,” which is exactly what the representative from the Kennedy Center said when she called Gyra on Thurs. March 20 to inform him about the award.

Gyra has now been teaching at BHS for 25 years and said he loves what he does. From an early age Gyra fell in love with science. One of Gyra’s high school science teachers inspired him to pursue a career in science and Gyra did so at Keene State College.

Keene State was where Gyra met current seventh grade English teacher Mick Carlon who would introduce him to his wife, Mary, and eventually lead him to teach at BHS, where he began subbing and coaching basketball. After graduating from college, Gyra served in the military for four years, during which time he earned his masters at Georgia Southern University.

“I love talking and being with teenagers,” Gyra said. “Teaching is extremely interesting, incredibly fun and rewarding.”

Since Gyra teaches freshman physical science and senior astronomy, he often gets his students at alternate ends of the high school experience. “I like getting both the freshman and senior perspectives.” said Gyra.

In his 25 years here at BHS, Gyra has become invested in the school and community. Many people know him as the man responsible for creating the Astro Park, a project he began 10 years ago in hopes to renovate the empty space and turn it into a functional facility.

Even though the Park is still not completed, it has come very far in the 10 short years since it was started. Gyra credits the community for the Astro Park’s success. “It would have never happened without the generosity of the businesses and the students who helped incredibly,” said Gyra.

For more information about the award, and to read Russell Brillant’s nominating essay, visit https://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/awards/sondheim/include/nominees14.html.