Barnstable High School's Award-Winning Student News Site

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

Polls

What was your favorite childhood summer getaway?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Redhawks Make it to States

Volleyball Loses in tight Match
Photo by Rafael Ferias
Junior Molly Gleason spikes the ball in the finals at Worcester state.

Even though they lost the state finals, Barnstable’s varsity girls volleyball team put on a great performance in a five-set match against top-ranked Newton North Saturday night. 

“ We played really tough defense, I am really proud of them and honored of being a coach,” said longtime head coach Tom Turco, minutes after the game. 

Turco highlighted the team’s resilience when they were down in the final game, and praised sophomore Jazlyn Coyer for coming off the bench  in the second set. He emphasized the importance of the team’s strong defense, and expressed overall pride and honor in coaching the team, especially the seniors. 

Head coach Tom Turco and JV Coach MaryLou Robles focus on the intense match. (Photo by Rafael Ferias)

“We were well prepared…they worked the offseason with their mentality and physically. These women played like a team; they fought very hard and they never quit,”  said freshman coach, Paul Donoghue. 

Despite facing the rock solid Newton defense  during the game, the team demonstrated strong teamwork, resilience, and determination. Donoghue commended their collective effort, highlighting their persistent fight and refusal to give up, indicating a sense of pride in the team’s commitment and performance.

“Good leaders make a team. The mindset while playing the game was playing with heart; we had a tough game, [the heart’s] what matters,” said senior player Molly Fredo of her final game. 

Last year, the Redhawks qualified for the playoffs and lost to Newton North 3-1 in the quarter finals. This year, in the regular season, the teams were evenly matched, each winning one game. This season the Redhawks were 21-4, while last year they were 19-3.