Barnstable High School's Award-Winning Student News Site

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

BHS Insight

Polls

What was your favorite childhood summer getaway?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New Athletic Director Wants To Build Community, Positivity

The+new+Athletic+Director+Henry+Stevens+is+easy+to+spot+at+7+feet+tall.+++
Photo by Layla Ribot
The new Athletic Director Henry Stevens is easy to spot at 7 feet tall.

For the past three months Brendan Case, an associate principal of Barnstable High School, has had two jobs. He has juggled between his normal job and being an interim athletic director. But starting this month, Case will hand off the AD job to new hire Henry Stevens.

Stevens was a basketball coach for six years at Falmouth Academy, for five of those years, he worked at Falmouth Academy as their athletic director. Before coming to Barnstable, Stevens was a math teacher at Falmouth High. 

Stevens looks forward to the community and strength Barnstable has to offer. He hopes to bring out a positive energy in both students and teachers. Some staff members at Barnstable have mentioned how he gives off a “Ted Lasso” personality. He believes that teaching is truly coaching; building on the losses and focusing on teaching skills as a whole. 

Before Case started working at BHS, he was an athletic director for six years at Holbrook High. This made him comfortable taking on the position. He did find some challenges with being the interim director such as, adjusting between his other job and working later hours. Case advises the new AD to communicate well and be open to constant changes.

Case had no desire in taking the position, but he is always willing to help. “I would never say never,” said Case, about possibly becoming the interim athletic director again.

He is grateful for such a positive experience and for the Barnstable community being so patient with him as he juggled two important positions.

So far, Stevens has found his transition easy thanks to Case and Barnstable High’s Principal Elizabeth Freedman. His office is by the cafeteria and he wants everyone to know that his door is always open for both students and teachers to introduce themselves. Stevens said he wants to grow a true relationship with everyone and continue to spread positivity.