Thrift Shopping on Cape Cod

Payton Geraghty, Staff Writer

Looking for a good way to save money on shopping? The Cape is filled with unique thrift shops with low prices and stylish clothing. From Hyannis all the way to Provincetown these small shops hold many different items of apparel, most at a fraction of retail cost.             Maria Reid, eighth grade art teacher, said she buys all of her clothing from local Cape thrift shops. Some of these shops include: Plush & Plunder in Hyannis, Rainbow’s End in Osterville, and the basement of the First Congregational Church in Yarmouth. When thrifting, Reid hopes to find any type of unique clothing or jewelry, and items for her granddaughter.

“The best thing I’ve ever bought was either my Cache gown I wore to a wedding or a necklace I bought with lots of the healing stones on it,” said Reid.

Reid describes her style as “whatever I feel like” and said she recommends thrifting for all ages on Cape.

Another avid thrift shopper, sophomore Audrey Sawyer, described her lucky finds at Goodwill and the Cape Cod Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop. While shopping Sawyer said she  hopes to find jeans, cool t-shirts and good shoes. She said, “The Cape is a good place to thrift, because we have rich clothing stores so there are nicer clothes in our thrift shops.”

She also said the reason she chooses thrift shops is to spend less money because at places like the mall she would spend up to $100 on just a few items of clothing. When asked what was the best thing she’s ever bought from a thrift shop, she said it was a Sherpa denim jacket for $20. She said that Wicked Thrift is a great place to look for prom dresses and shoes.

Hannah Roderick, junior, shops at Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Roderick thrifts for vintage items and Levi jeans.

“Thrift shopping is a lot cheaper, but you’re still able to find cool stuff,” said Roderick, adding that she had to find a pair of jeans for her Destination Imagination competition, “It was a great find; I wear them all the time.” Thrift shopping on Cape is a great way to save money on clothes that you may wear many different times. Besides clothes you can also find jewelry, shoes and other trinkets for a very low cost.

Plush & Plunder-

Address: 605 Main St, Hyannis, MA 02601

Hours: Everyday from 10am-6pm

Rainbow’s End- 1056 Main St, Osterville, MA 02655

Hours: Wednesday- Saturday 10 am-3pm

Goodwill- 141 Corporation Road (behind Cape Cod Mall, )Hyannis, MA 02601

Hours: Monday-Saturday 10am-7pm, Sunday- 12-6pm

Salvation Army- 100 North St, Hyannis, MA 02601

Hours: None listed

First Congregational Church of Yarmouth-

Hours: Wednesday- Saturday 10am-2pm

Address: 329 Main St, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675

Cape Cod Hospital Auxilary Thrift-

Address: 690 Main St, Hyannis, MA 02601

Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-3pm