Stand Out Star: Bridget Everett

Eigth Grader Shines on the Field and Ice

Lily Mathieu, Staff Writer

Fast-forward to the end of a successful field hockey season, eighth-grader Bridget Everett tried out for the BHS girls’ ice hockey team. As anticipated, Everett is now on varsity’s starting lineup. Once again, Everett is leaving her mark on Barnstable athletics.

Everett first made her athletic debut at Barnstable during the fall sports season, becoming the youngest girl to ever make BHS’s varsity field hockey team. Everett exhibited the drive, commitment, and natural talent that every athlete aspires after years of practice. But, to the surprise of many, this fall season was Everett’s first time playing field hockey. She was encouraged by senior captain Mackenzie Curtice to try out for the team and her ability to learn the sport quickly, lead her to landing a spot on varsity.

Ashley Bishop, BHS’s Varsity Field Hockey Head Coach, was extremely impressed with Everett this season. As fall tryouts were the first time Everett picked up a field hockey stick, Everett was originally placed on the junior varsity team. Not long after, Everett was brought up to the varsity level as her natural talent for the sport was evident among her teammates. From past experience, Bishop felt that young athletes tend to be less mature and not as easy to coach. However, Bishop was amazed with Everett’s level of maturity, making her adaptable and easy to be instructed even on a college level. Bishop is ecstatic to have such an amazing player on the team “hopefully for the next four years.”

Despite her unbelievable athletic abilities, Everett attributes her success during the field hockey season to her teammates. Everett felt that her “strong team” and “great captains” made for an amazing season and for her becoming a better player.

Of everyone who assisted Everett on the field hockey team, Mackenzie Curtice was Everett’s main role model. Throughout the season, Curtice was always someone who not only supported Everett, but inspired her. Curtice and Everett only met this past summer when they both participated in a summer ice hockey league. From that moment on, Curtice felt strongly that Everett should try out for the high school’s field hockey team as it would provide a sense of community going into eighth grade.

Curtice loves to have Everett on the team as she considers her to be a great team player, one that “always puts the team first.” “She is always looking for the pass, rather than making the goal,” said Curtice. She strives towards helping her team in every situation, rather than helping herself.

If you missed out on seeing Everett this fall, don’t worry, Everett is the now on ice, currently playing for a U-19 and BHS’s girls’ ice hockey team. However Everett has a continually growing interest and love for field hockey, ice hockey is where her passion lies. Everett’s Barnstable ice hockey teammates, Nicole Leblanc and Rachel Aalto, consider her to be great new addition to the team. Leblanc recognizes Everett to be “a great ice hockey player and even a better teammate on and off the ice.”

Winter sports are only beginning, although, it is anticipated that Everett with leave a strong impression on Barnstable once she the hits ice. You’ll see Everett as #10, she is playing center, and is guaranteed to stand out.