BHS Gymnastics Heads to Regionals

State Title in Hand, BHSG is Ready for Regionals

Junior+Jill+Frasier+competes+in+the+vault+event+at+a+competition.+

Photo by Contributed by Jill Frasier

Junior Jill Frasier competes in the vault event at a competition.

Cate Harrington, Staff Writer

Last weekend the Barnstable High School gymnastics team won the State title for the second year in a row. Junior Jillian Fraser took fifth place in the individuals while Talia Twomey tied for sixth. The Raiders are undefeated so far this season.

“Competing at states is always a little nerve wracking because you are competing with the top eight teams in the state but it is also exciting to know you’re one of them,” said junior Jackie Hansen.

“It was awesome,” said senior Jojo Leveroni. “Especially because we didn’t even come close my freshman and sophomore seasons, it felt like we really earned it these past two years.”

With a state championship in hand, the Raiders head to the New England Regionals competition seeking to keep their undefeated season alive. Their toughest competition is Woodstock Academy, who the Raiders fell to by a quarter of a point to last year.

Leveroni is confident that her team can pull through. “In order to even come close to Woodstock we have to beat the state record, but our team is definitely strong enough to do that,” said Leveroni.

According to Hansen, the girls not only support each other while competing but with all the team dinners and sleepovers during the season they have become like sisters.

“Everyone on my team is family to me. We’re always there for eachother. Sometimes we fight but in the end we love each other and the sport we do,” Fraser added.

Standout gymnasts include Lauren Hansen, Jackie Hansen, Leveroni, Fraser, Twomey, Haley Myrbeck, and Kayla Myrbeck.

New England Regionals will be held at Algonquin High School this Saturday.