Jazz Concert A Sweet Treat

Death by Chocolate a Hit for Attendees

Seniors+Adam+Garcia+and+Joe+Egan+show+their+stuff+during+Death+by+Chocolate.+

Photo by Jenny Griffin

Seniors Adam Garcia and Joe Egan show their stuff during Death by Chocolate.

Jenny Griffin, Staff Writer

As I bought my ticket for the annual “Death By Chocolate” concert, I will admit I was still clueless as to what it was. With little to no knowledge about the concert, I was the ideal candidate for the intriguing night. As the velvet rope that separated me from the Performing Arts Center (PAC) stage was dropped, I rounded the corner to find a transformed PAC stage radiating violet light and exuding the tempting aroma of chocolate.

Tables were set up on the stage with plates of brownies, cookies, cake, and cupcakes- all chocolate, and guests could sit wherever they pleased. Also on the stage were three clear sections, a space for the string ensemble, one for the vocal jazz singing group, and finally one for the jazz lab band. Behind the risers for the ensembles was a lavender lit backdrop with tiny sparkles. It reminded me of a city at night or a Craigville beach sunset. With just a few simple tweaks to the PAC, the space looked unrecognizable.

Last year the concert was held in the chorus room and sold out very fast due to the small space and little seating. “They made a great decision of utilizing the PAC stage,” said senior Chloe Brumfield, “Now more people will get the opportunity to enjoy the concert.”

As the three jazz groups made their way onto the stage, the atmosphere was relaxed yet classy at the same time, like a lounge. Something  noticed were the jazz lab bands’ uniforms. The girls had black and red tights and sparkly red scarves, and the boys had red handkerchiefs while the other two ensembles looked elegant in black.

Vocal jazz kicked off the concert with “Boplicity,” a perfect way to set the scene and theme of the concert. Their hushed tones and bouncing movements displayed by the group were in sync and smooth. It was much more entertaining than I expected and I was eager for the next group.

The vocal jazz group also came back throughout the show to perform solos and duets. Caleb Seaver performed as well as Scott Finn and Leslie McKinnon. They showed off their talents through scatting and Ella Fitzgerald songs. They definitely stood out as well-prepared and looked as though they enjoyed what they were doing.

The String ensemble played “It Don’t Mean a Thing if You Ain’t Got That Swing,” a fan favorite performed every year. Hearing it for the first time was an amazing experience and I quickly understood why the song was repeated every year. The mellow yet brisk performance was one of my favorites of the night.

The jazz lab band took up the most space on the stage and showed they really knew their stuff through songs such as “Moonlight Magic” that blew the audience away. Solos from junior Genny Cote, senior Adam Garcia, senior Joe Egan, and many others had the audience roaring with applause. The band was such a hit they played an encore song at the end of the concert. It was hard to believe that these were only high school students.

Throughout the night, people walked around asking if we would like more coffee, water, and of course chocolate. The restaurant-like environment and the musical accompaniment made for an evening that was worth far more than my $10 ticket.

It was by far the best in school function I have ever experienced, and I was not alone in my thought. Loyal audience member and junior Gabe Rourke attended all three Death By Chocolate concerts that weekend. I asked if it was for the music or the chocolate–he decided not to comment.