Winter Sports Preview

Photo by Dan

Girls hockey takes on Nantucket in their 7-2 victory on January 4.

Daniel Botolino, Staff Writer

The days have gotten shorter, the leaves have fallen off the trees and the weather has gotten colder. With the New Year just being rung in, that means the Barnstable winter sports season is in full swing. Here is what you need to know for the road ahead.

Boys Basketball:

The Boys Basketball team is looking to bounce back after a winless 2021-2022 season. Under fourth year head coach Alik Taylor the boys face a tough non-league schedule that started on the road against Milford on December 10 with Cape Cod Academy, Foxborough, and New Mission all in the month of December. Led by forward Evan Briggs and guards Darren Thomas and Ka’aron Ford, the team looks to head to the state playoffs for the first time in the Taylor era. 

KeyGames:

January 24 vs. Dennis Yarmouth 

February 7 vs. Falmouth

Girls Basketball: 

The Girls Basketball team went through some big changes this offseason as they named former assistant coach Mia Crawley their new head coach. The team also said goodbye to star forward Olivia Gourdine who is now playing basketball at Roger Williams University. Despite these changes, the girls will try to build off of last season’s success where they finished with a 12-6 record and made it to the playoffs. In order to do so they will be led by sophomore guard Chloe Egan who is entering her third year on the varsity team. Returning Juniors Hannah Zerbo and Sophia Atsalis will also be important contributors to the team. 

In her first year at the helm Crawley wants to help these girls feel good about their ability. “My main goal is to build their confidence. This year is a rebuilding year since we lost key players from last year. I want my girls to understand that this will be a work in progress and they need to stick together from start to finish.”

Key Games:

January 13 vs. Brockton

February 7 @ Falmouth

February 10 vs. Denis Yarmouth

Boys Hockey:

The boys are expecting to have a big rebound after a tough 2021-2022 season. In order to do that Coach Tim Grace’s team will be anchored by Senior Captain Shea Semprini and the two juniors who have been appointed assistant captains, Owen Jones and Chad Tordone. Offensively Freshman Chase Field will look to build off an excellent 8 grade season and in net, Junior Aidan Mehta will look to keep opposing offenses at bay. 

Key Games:

January 7 vs. Falmouth

February 11 vs. Sandwich

Girls Hockey:

The girls had a phenomenal run last season making it all the way to the state quarterfinal after a 12-6 regular season. Despite the graduation of Captains Reagan Hicks and Laura Cogswell, the latter being last year’s Cape and Islands League MVP, the girls bring back a strong squad anchored by freshman goalie Codi Pickering who pitched a shutout in a playoff game against Woburn last season. On offense the team is led by Juniors Ally Mceneany and Claire Hazard, both of whom scored in their 3-1 win on opening night. The team’s depth and experience also have made them standout. The team features nine juniors and a pair of senior defensemen in Miranda Anacki and Penelope Clifford. 

Coach Peter Nugnes is ready for the season starting “This team has many strong returning players as well as some new young talented players. I’m excited to see how we do.”

Key Games:

January 21 @ Falmouth

January 25 vs. Dennis Yarmouth 

February 21 and 22 Falmouth Tournament vs. TBD

Wrestling:

The Barnstable Wrestling squad has a new coach this season. Current Head Football Coach Ross Jakolta takes over the wrestling team this winter. He will be inheriting a team with plenty of experience led by Senior Nate Ryan who finished in 7 place in the state for his weight class last year. Ryan will be accompanied by fellow captains Brandon Schull and Sophia Simonelli. Simonelli placed 4th among girls at the Division 1 state tournament last year. 

Ryan has high hopes for the team saying “This is a young team that is willing to work hard. We have a full roster with some good competition on the horizon and I’m excited to see how we do as we have gotten off to quite the start.”

Key Meets: 

January 18 @ Sandwich

February 3 Cape League Championship

January 8 vs. New Bedford

GIrls Track: 

The girls track team looks to build off a successful season last year. Leading the way for the team will be the always consistent Lily Dedecko. She will be joined by veteran seniors Grace Cohndino and Renna Kingsbury. The girls hope to put on a show at their meets this winter.

Key Meets:

January 7 @ Reggie Lewis Center

January 17 vs. Nauset

Boys Track:

Just like the girls team the boys team does consistently well at their meets. They will look to continue the success under coach Dave Fazewski, the boys will try to build off the success many of the runners had in the fall running cross country. One of the leaders of this group is Jaxson Merill. The junior captain placed 15 in the cross country divisional meet in November and has high hopes for the winter.

Key Meets:

January 17 vs. Nauset

February 5 @ Reggie Lewis Center

Swimming:

The swim team continues to gain popularity around the school and this year the team hopes to compete with the top teams on Cape. The brother-sister duo of Jeremy and Ava Bullock will look to make waves in competition. Joining them will be Jake Kayjain. The senior has been on the team since their freshman year. He will provide some important leadership in the pool.

Key Meets:

January 13 @ Sandwich

January 17 vs. Saint John Paul

February 3 vs. Norton

Gymnastics:

Last but certainly not least is the always consistent gymnastics team. Under head coach Duncan Chase, the girls will try and impress again.This year, however, they will be joined by Falmouth and Mashpee as a co-op team that includes all three towns on the same team for the first time. A young team, they will look to underclassmen to step up. These include sophomore Elena Grgiulo and Freshman Lylah Crawley. The team is not all underclassmen, they also will feature Junior Julliette Eldrdge and lone senior Jackie Mahassell. They will anchor a team filled with high expectations and one that Chase says is very talented and has the ability to reach the south sectional.

Key Matches:

January 31 vs. Carver

February 8 @ Bridgewater-Raynahm