Trending Apps

Nicole Capeless Discusses the Most Popular Smartphone Apps

Nicole Capeless, Staff Writer

For all of you who like to play games on your cell phones, listen up.  Temple run has run out of originality (how ironic), and Words with Friends just isn’t cutting it any more.  Games not rising to your expectations?  These three highly suggested apps are guaranteed to change your perspective on gaming on your cell.

The Candy Crush Saga may not be new, but it is still very popular to all ages. Between the limitless levels and limited lives, it is a dangerous game to play. Once you start, you won’t stop. Candy Crush is a game of matching, you match the similar candies together and it gives you points. For every level there is a specific amount of points or jelly to get rid of. If you fail, you can retry up to five times. After the fifth time failing, you must wait eight minutes to retry.

People of all ages are attracted to this game app because they don’t want to fail.  For some it’s the thought of getting up to the next level. Usually most players begin to get competitive with one another where they try to beat each other’s levels and that can go on and on. Candy Crush has its vibrant colors and silly music wowing the users to keep them addicted. I suggest this app to all ages for some fun when you have extra time. It gets your adrenaline flowing and your eyes roaming.

QuizUp is exactly what it sounds like, a quiz. Once you download it, you have the option of signing in with your Facebook or e-mail. If you choose Facebook you can play the game with a friend or a contact. Once you set it up, you have multiple quiz topics to choose from. It ranges from sports, books, music, and tv shows, to science, nature, and business quizzes. With 324 topics, it gets more in depth. If you chose music, you then get to pick from a variety of genres, years, and specific artists! There are quizzes specifically about Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus.

After picking a topic, you are then matched with a stranger or a friend (your choice) and you are quizzed. The quiz contains 10 questions. It is not a matter of who gets it first, but who gets it right. If you both get it right, you both get the points. Although it may not be Jeopardy, this app is still has a competitive feel to it. In the end, the winner is whomever has the most points, or whomever answered more questions correctly. This app is very good when you are bored and want to challenge yourself about your own personal knowledge.

I am not a big fan of Flappy Bird, only because I have lost every single time. This new app has everybody constantly on their phone trying to get the bird through the poles. With the tapping of your finger, you control whether the flappy bird goes up or down. But be careful, if you tap too fast or too slow you won’t make it through the designated space.

I downloaded this free app recently (fortunately, before the founder pulled it!), and whenever I have a free moment, I try it again. The key is to learn just the right speed of your finger. The spaces the bird is supposed to fly changes every time and you have to be prepared. It is a game that involves a lot of concentration and frustration because no matter what, you will not get very far your first time playing. Many students have downloaded it and are raving about Flappy Bird. So if you’re looking for a challenge, this is the app for you!