Class of 2022 Says Farewell To BHS

The+graduates+throw+up+their+caps+at+the+end+of+the+ceremony.+

Photo by Cece Brisbois

The graduates throw up their caps at the end of the ceremony.

Cece Brisbois, Staff Writer

The 2022 Red Hawks soared away and out from their nest of five years at Barnstable graduation, June 10. More than 300 seniors were welcomed into the community as official adults as they venture to college or other prospects in the coming months.

The graduation exercises for the class of 2022 began promptly at 10 a.m., with the traditional opening songs, “Pomp and Circumstance”, and  then “Star Spangled Banner”, performed by the Barnstable High School choir. Soon-to-be graduates entered in their caps and gowns with triumphant smiles searching for family and friends in the crowd. Following the procession, Alyssa Tyler, secretary of the class of 2022, gave a brief welcome and called Diedre Mullin, treasurer, to the podium. Mullin thanked parents Natalie Judge and Bonnie Stanley for an amazing prom and celebration the Saturday before. They were met with a round of applause and gratitude from students and parents alike, and a bouquet of flowers. 

Next, class President Olivia Donnellan thanked teachers and parents alike as she mentioned the hardships of the pandemic and online learning for the class. She then went on to thank the lunch personal and custodians for their hard work, along with administrative assistants and counselors. She concluded by acknowledging the class of 2022, their year, and some of the class’s accomplishments. 

“And to us, the class of 2022. From the lows of one way halls and chaotic cohorts, to the highs of record performing spirit weeks, and collaborating together again. What a rollercoaster this has been,” said Donnellan. 

Veronica Spanulolo, vice president, followed Donnellan as she presented the class gift. The Class of 2022 donated their remaining funds to the Class of 2023, the upcoming senior class. 

Jessica Guo, president of student council  recited  the poem “A Double Rainbow’’ by Virginia King, and Kaya Cormier, National Honor Society President went on to thank the remaining staff and special others who contributed to their senior year of high school.

As student speeches finished, graduates and guests heard from Dr. Meg Mayo-Brown, superintendent of Barnstable public schools. Mayo-Brown recognized students who will enter the military after graduation and those who are a veteran or active military member. They were asked to stand and thanked for their hard work and bravery. Next, students who have earned their Seal of Biliteracy, meaning they are fluent in two or more languages, were announced. 

As Mayo-Brown concluded Elizabeth Freedman, Principal of Barnstable was welcomed to the podium. She mentioned how even though she had only been with them for a year, she knew they had a passion to contribute to the greater good. Freedman spoke on some anecdotes of personal experiences with different students and their projects. 

Finally, the moment everyone has been waiting for, diplomas were to be handed out. Ahsley Bishop and Karen MacFarlane, the senior class advisors, called students names as they proudly walked to the stage to receive their diploma as their family cheered them on from the stands. At the conclusion, these newly graduates threw their caps into the air as they had finally made it, and a crowd of people stormed the field to congratulate the class of 2022.