Recap Of the 2021-2022 School Year

Alex Arabadzhiev, Staff Writer

Now that the school year is coming to a close, let’s look back on some of the highlights and memorable moments from this very interesting school year of  2021-2022. 

September

• Principal Elizabeth Freedman started her weekly student updates, via email on Sunday nights. 
  • The Barnstable Football team had their first home game with no crowd restrictions in two years Barnstable won the game, versus Bridgewater Raynham 36-15.

October: 

• The first Fall Formal dance since 2019 was hosted on the football field.
  • Students from the Business Pathway presented the benefits of the pathway to Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Karyn Politio.
The Business Pathway poses with Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Karyn Politio.

November: 

• The RedHawk Parade and Rally took place in Main Street Hyannis
  • Barnstable Football beat Falmouth in the 135th annual Thanksgiving Football Game
  • All grades had an assembly meeting with Mrs. Freedman where they went over the current school culture and ways to improve the school.
DECA builds a float for the pep rally.

December:

• A 3-on-3 basketball fundraiser titled “Hoops for the Holidays” was held at the school where participants donated gifts that were given to local shelters and programs for the holidays. The event was organized by senior Ceasar Almeida.
  • A TikTok Challenge promoting school violence caused a majority of students to stay home in fears of safety. 
  • COVID test kits began to be distributed to all students free of charge right before Christmas Break.

January:

• The art department displayed an exhibit called the “Bee-pocalypse of Belonging” in the Main Lobby. Their goal was to create an art installation that reflects the beauty and connectedness of our Barnstable High School community, using the bee as an artistic symbol.
  • Barney the Red Hawk made his first appearance versus Falmouth.
  • The BHS and BIS choruses combined for a concert in the PAC
  • Both the BHS Hockey teams organized fundraisers to help the family of freshman hockey player Mayah White who is battling cancer.
  • Vape Sensors were installed in the bathrooms. 
The new vape detectors attached on the ceiling on the bathrooms.

February:

• Lunar New Year was celebrated with Chinese language students creating a traditional Chinese dragon and parading around the main cafeteria.
  • There was an in-school NFTE (Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship) Youth Summit 
  • The Robotics Club had its only competition for the year in which they competed with other students on Cape Cod.
  • BHS Student Career Ambassadors  presented their pathways at BIS.
  • Advisory Classrooms participated in a door decorating competition in honor of Black History Month.

March:

• Shrek the Musical, The first BHS Drama performance since 2019 was held,
  • A view of Sandy Neck through the eyes of Barnstable High School art students was on display in the Barnstable Town Hall.
  • March Madness, where each day included a different themed outfit and after school competition, happened.
  • BHS gymnast Sadie Murphy qualified for the National Gymnastics High School Tournament. Sophia Simonelli competed in the MIAA Girls Wrestling State Tournament and placed 4th.
  • DECA competed at the Massachusetts State Conference in Boston, sending five members to the International Competition in Atlanta.
The first musical since Pippin in April 2019 is coming this March.

April:

• An honors celebration was held for students who achieved honor roll with a hypnotist performance in the PAC.
  • The National Honor Society held its induction ceremony for 
  • The first annual Spring Jam was held with the Barn Boys performing.
  • The BHS annual poetry slam was held
  • Future Problem Solvers participated in the state competition sending 12 members to national competition.
  • Barnstable’s delegation of 14 Latin and Greek students attended the MassJCL Convention and took 5th place overall in the state
  • Student council held a therapy dog event in the library
  • The BHS Annual Art Show and BHS Fashion Show both were held.
  • Senior students, Juan Portilla and Eugene Jordan started a campaign titled Tree-Plenish, in which their goal was to offset annual paper use, 335 trees were planted as a result of their efforts. 
pottery made by ceramics classes to be featured in the Art Show

May:

• Ava Bullock broke the 2-mile record of 11:40 set in 1994 with an 11:31.2 in Girls Track.
  • Sophomore’s Ava Lubash and Olivia Jonnson organized and gathered students outside of the school’s main entrance at 1:13pm to oppose the Supreme Court’s leaked decision to overturn Roe vs Wade.
  • The music department hosted a spring concert series for both the choirs and instrumental ensembles.
  • A student delegation from the Barnstable Model UN Club participated in the club’s first Model UN Conference at Sandwich High School. 
  • Steven Sentes from New Bedford is appointed as the school’s new athletic director.
  • Five students from Mr. Ogilive’s Entrepreneurship class advanced to the semifinals of the NFTE Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge.
  • Seniors celebrated their final days in school with a spirits
    Ava Lubash and Olivia Jonnson organized and gathered students outside of the schoolo oppose the Supreme Court’s leaked decision to overturn Roe vs Wade.

June:

• Prom and Celebration were well-attended on Saturday, June 4.
  • Seniors were recognized on the annual Senior Recognition Night at the PAC on Tuesday, June 7
  • The first graduation without no restrictions in two years will happen on Saturday, June 11th
  • The 8th grade dance will be held on Friday, June 17th
  • Final exams will be June 21-24.