Seniors Last Hurrahs

Plans Set For Prom, Graduation

Prom+dresses+hanging+in+a+closet+down+at+Hub+4.+

Photo by Cece Brisbois

Prom dresses hanging in a closet down at Hub 4.

Cece Brisbois, Staff Writer

Over 100 movies such as “Carrie,” “Mean Girls,” or “Footloose” all depict scenes of students in sparkling dresses, sharp tuxedos, the ever so frequent “geek to chic makeover,” or the unexpected prom King and Queen. Students would expect nothing less than for the BHS 2022 Senior Prom. 

After a makeshift prom from last year known as “Senior Sunset” and a complete deficit of a prom two years ago due to Covid, the class of 2022 will be the lucky class to receive a prom once again due to the many parent volunteers, the 2022 senior officers plus advisors and administration. Prom is on Saturday, June 4, from 6-10 p.m.with seniors being allowed to bring one guest, an underclassman or outside guests, but they must be under 21. Prom tickets are now on sale in the main lobby for $55 with a completed permission slip. 

“I am very thrilled and thankful to have a senior prom this year to celebrate with my friends one last time before college, and to get to break it down on the dance floor,” said Cayleigh Fleming, a senior. 

Prom 2022 will begin with students entering through a full red carpet and celebrity-like experience to celebrate with their friends one last time. Students  will walk into a white tent adorned with decorations to reflect the theme  “Starry Night.” Although the actual prom will be under a wedding styled tent located on the turf field at BHS, students will still be able to look up at the sky to see the starry night, really highlighting the theme of it all. Inside the tent attendees will be greeted with the music from the Calla family who will be Djing, and the smell of Causal Gourmet’s catered food.

“ Prom will include a lot of other fun and exciting touches to make this a special night for the senior class!” said Ashley Bishop, Class of 2022 advisor. 

With the recent opening of the Green Club Closet, BHS will provide outfits, including dresses that could be worn at prom. These dresses will be free and are for students who cannot afford a brand new dress, or would like to save some money. 

After the conclusion of prom the fun will continue to go on with “Celebration.” This is an all night event that will start at the end of the Prom to 5 a.m the next morning. Celebration will include fun games, raffles, food, activities and a safe after prom environment. In the past, Celebration, which is held in the field house, has had pizza, Chinese Food, Ben and Jerrys, and candy for all seniors and guests that attend. Seniors and guests will also be able to participate in raffles, games, and activities to win many prizes. 

“Celebration is the drug and alcohol free post prom event. It is a tradition that started over 25 years ago, created by a group of parents after a late night post prom tragedy. The main purpose is to give students a safe and sober option after prom.” said Natalie Judge, the event coordinator for Celebration. 

Those interested in volunteering  can visit @bhscelebration on instagram where they will see the QR codes for different sign up sheets needed to make the Celebration a great event. 

Some more closing events for graduating seniors include “Seniors Last Night” in the astro park on Thursday, May 26th at 6pm, and “Senior Field Day”on Friday, May 27th starting at 7:30 am. The Senior Spirit Week will be May 23rd – 27th, which will include these events. 

Also the following week from prom, the real closure of the seniors’ time at BHS will happen. On Saturday, June 11 graduation will occur for the class of 2022 at 10 a.m. Graduation will be a final farewell to the graduating class and will be back to the usual setup in years past. Students will be allotted eight tickets each, four on the lawn, and four on the bleachers on the BHS turf field, for their families and friends to bid them farewell as they take on the world after Barnstable High School.