Fall Sports Wrap-Up

Photo by Jennifer Mullen

The Girls Volleyball team had another successful season.

Evan Fishback, Staff Writer

With winter sports starting this week, we decided to look back at how the fall sports season went for each BHS team.

Football:

Record: 8-3

Led by a group of talented seniors, the BHS Football team had a solid season culminating in a playoff loss. Running back Eugene Jordan was named the Cape and Islands Player of the Year, as well as being named to the Boston Herald All Scholastic Team along with Patrick O’Neal. The football team also had nine players named to the All League Team with one honorable mention. Head Coach Ross Jatkola was also voted coach of the year by the Eastern Massachusetts Association of Interscholastic Football officials. When asked about the senior class Jatkola said he was incredibly proud, wishing them the best in life and thanking them for the last four years. 

Boys Cross Country:

Record: 4-1

For a year that Coach Dave Faszewski considered a “rebuilding year” the boys cross country team did pretty well for themselves. Faszewski is already looking to the future though, mentioning Freshmen Gabe Picchardo and Marco Simonelli as future leaders. The young talent doesn’t stop there: sophomores Jaxson Merrill and Jeremy Bullock both ran under 17 minutes on the championship 5km course for the first time in Faszewski’s nine years.

Girls Cross Country:

Record: 5-0

The Girls Cross Country team had an excellent season this year going undefeated and winning the Cape & Islands League Atlantic Division championship. The team collected 19 individual medals as well as finishing as the league meet champions. The success likely won’t stop this season though, as they were led by three stellar sophomores and star freshman Ava Bullock who finished as the Division 1A State Champion.

Field Hockey:

Record: 7-7-3

The BHS Field Hockey team had a season with seven wins, seven losses and three ties. The team scored 42 goals, which is the most in the last five years, and they stayed competitive in one of the toughest divisions in the state. The girls came together at the right time, stringing together wins and qualifying for the state tournament. Senior captain Reagan Hicks also set the single-season scoring record for BHS Field Hockey with 23 goals and 13 assists this year. She was also selected as one of the top 60 senior players in all of Massachusetts, and was Co-MVP of the Cape and Islands League.

Girls Soccer:

Record: 5-5-2

The season started fairly slow for the girls, but near the middle of the season they found their rhythm. Their team was led by a group of nine graduating seniors, so next year will bring a great deal of new faces. Head Coach Lee Docherty is excited for next year though, “We are looking forward to seeing all of the new faces which will make up our program,” Docherty said. 

Boys Soccer:

Record: 4-10

This season was definitely a rebuilding year for the boys, they graduated six seniors and the team was primarily made up of sophomores. Senior captain Paul Sullivan described the season as a learning experience due to a large portion of the team being made up of underclassmen. He added that in the coming seasons he expects the team to grow and improve as they get older.

Girls Volleyball:

Record: 15-6

The girls volleyball team stayed competitive as always, making it to the round of eight. The team was primarily made up of seniors, but contained a few juniors and sophomores. Senior captain Allison Nystrom noted how close the team was and how much fun they had together on and off the court. Nystrom doesn’t know what to expect for next year, but will gladly come back and watch a few games to cheer on her former teammates.