Shower Yourself in V-Day Love

Photo by Creative Commons

Philip Randazzo, Staff Writer

Whenever Valentine’s Day rolls around, couples start acting like they are meeting the in-laws for the first time. They sometimes appear happier and healthier than they really are on a daily basis, and they all of a sudden develop cravings for escargot rather than the usual Big Mac. To me, Valentine’s Day can be viewed as two people making an effort to reignite their love for each other, as well as a day to simply enjoy yourself.

First of all, Valentine’s Day comes with numerous perks, such as chocolate going on sale the day after so even the loners of BHS (myself included) can fill their empty hearts with sweets. Plus, we are blessed with musicians such as Tyga and Justin Timberlake releasing new love songs, instantly reminding us of our loved ones. Also, cheesy Netflix movies that star the same cast over and over are being launched, such as the ending to the book and film series To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.

And let’s not forget how Valentine’s Day was so hyped up in elementary school; students would drown themselves in Fun Dip and Smarties, trading with each other for their favorite flavors. A day would be devoted to decorating our bags and writing out cards for our families and friends, providing a needed break for children. After a year in quarantine, children need a positive and peppy experience like Valentine’s Day more than ever, even if social distancing measures are in place.

There is also the arts and crafts aspect of Valentine’s Day that is sometimes pushed aside in order to prioritize romance. If you are not in a relationship, you are able to make a card for your mom, grandmother, friend, etc. to show how much you care about them. A homemade Valentine’s Day card can go a long way—it rescued me from doing a few chores back in the day. Even if we are deep in a pandemic, there are still ways we can honor our loved ones, like sending an unexpected bouquet of roses or pulling heartfelt pranks on Zoom.

I acknowledge that some people believe Valentine’s Day adds unnecessary stress and expectations on a relationship, but that is only true when the couple’s chemistry has already turned sour. Now I also know what everyone is thinking while reading this: Philip Randazzo has not had a solid girlfriend since middle school, so what does he know about love? Truth is, I do not know anything about love because I have never experienced it. However, I know a thing or two about common sense. Maybe I am crazy, but I do not see V-Day as a day to celebrate love—a healthy relationship should be doing that frequently and not rely on a scheduled date. Instead, I look at it as a needed opportunity for couples at war to stop, breathe, and evaluate whether the relationship is worth saving, or worth letting go.

It is easy for people on the outside to cast judgement on a relationship they do not know anything about; unfortunately, I, too, have judged couples plenty of times. The world needs to refrain from portraying Feb. 14 as a dark ominous cloud, and start viewing it as therapeutic. The anxiousness around Valentine’s Day can serve as closure to many depending on what they make of it. Valentine’s Day is meant to define a relationship between two lovers, not bathe in self-pity. 

To read another staff member’s opinion on why Valentine’s Day is a hoax, click here