What’s The Word?

Lilly Mathieu, Features Editor

What’s the word in Massachusetts? It’s not just last week’s Pats game, in fact, there’s been a lot more talk about high school sports games than one may think.

Since its creation in January 2017, Instagram account @wtwmass (What’s the Word Mass.) has exponentially been gaining attention with its high school sports coverage. The account broadcasts high school sports’ highlights, game footage, and mini documentaries from schools all over Massachusetts. Originally targeted to Lexington and Watertown students, WTW expanded its reach to nearly every corner of Massachusetts once the account’s content continued to attract more students.

According to the Watertown student that started it all, Areg Andre, the idea for the account was a fabrication of a “club soccer group chat of about thirty people from several different towns” back in 2016. The group chat was a way for Andre to interconnect with students from other towns in the surrounding-Boston region. From exchanging entertaining videos to spreading the word about what was going on inside of their individual towns, the group chat fostered the idea of creating an Instagram account once some of the videos they shared were uploaded to Barstool Sports, said Andre.

It wasn’t until last Winter when the account captured its first high school hockey game in Marshfield, that the account’s popularity truly skyrocketed. Andre emphasized that the hockey videos engaged followers, drawing them in to high school sports and rivalries. WTW filmed the the highly-anticipated Falmouth versus Barnstable game as students packed the stands eager to see who of the long-term rivalry would come out on top.

Again coming to Barnstable in September, WTW filmographer Angus Crossley captured the Red Raider football win against Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School.
However, WTW doesn’t film simply upon request, they charge a fee for their footage, starting $199, as these WTW videographers and producers devote significant time to the development of the videos.