Stand Out Star: Connor Higgins

Skylar Bowman, Staff Writer

Attending hockey games is a common pastime for many BHS students, but what many don’t realize is that the starting goalie they are watching is actually a freshman. Conor Higgins started playing hockey at age five and transitioned to the position of goalie at age seven. When asked about making varsity this season, Higgins said that “it was a longshot at the beginning”, but that he felt more confident as tryouts came closer.

“We forget that he is a freshman,” said Varsity Head Coach Tim Grace. Higgins and Grace both agreed that the team has accepted Higgins with open arms.

“I love playing with them, it’s a great team– close,” said Higgins.

Higgins has contributed to many wins this season, and his teammates and coach “have plenty of confidence with him in net,” said Grace.

Getting to this place, however, took a lot of work on Higgins’ behalf. Higgins had to practice and work hard in the off season, preparing himself to be a varsity-worthy goalie for the upcoming high school season.

“Conor earned respect by hard work and with his performance in practice and games this season,” said Grace.

Higgins also played hockey for the high school last year on the J.V. team.

“It’s faster paced and the stakes are higher. Playoffs and rivalry games are fun– you don’t get that in J.V.,” Higgins said when asked about the difference between playing for both teams.

The varsity team has big hopes for playoffs this year, and they’re hoping that with Higgins’ help they’ll be able to make the playoffs and win a few games there, said Grace.

Higgins is humbled by his position on varsity and seems more than ready to help take Stable all the way to playoffs this season.

“I didn’t expect to win the first games: I was confident, but I didn’t know if we were going to pull it off, but we’re still winning,” said Higgins.