Military Instead of College

Lilly Mathieu, Staff Writer

Everyday men and women risk their lives. They take it upon themselves to enlist in the Armed Forces, to fight for and protect the United States. However, many Americans never considered that this could be them. According to former BHS student and current Marine, Billy Botelho, “Most high school students see college as the only option and have a lot of misconceptions about the military.”

As a graduate of BHS’s class of 2017, Botelho advises current students to, “explore all your options.” He believes that joining the armed forces is something everyone should consider. “The military is a great option for people who need more time to think about what they want to do later on in life. But then again, the military isn’t for everyone,” said Botelho.

Currently, Botelho is stationed in Oklahoma as a member of the United States Marine Corps. Although it has been a big adjustment, he has become more disciplined and is able “to work under a lot of stress.”

There have been times in which Botelho has wished that he had the “typical” college life and see his friends and family on a regular basis. However, Botelho does not regret his decision as he is proud to belong to “the best fighting force in America.” He knows that he “chose to do this for a good reason.”

Another graduate of BHS’s class of 2017, Devon Harris, is attending a private military college in Vermont that will put him in the armed forces in four years. Harris’s father has been in the Air Force “for 21 years as of now.” Growing up, Harris has looked up to his father, watched what he has done and wanted to replicate that for himself. Harris said that he would “recommend anyone to a military college.” “Norwich [University] is a great school that challenges you and gives you the opportunity to be a leader and a better person,” said Harris.

There are other benefits to enlisting or attending a military college, as well. “I’ll receive the benefits the rest of my life and go to college practically for free,” said Botelho, who plans on attending a civilian college once his military contract is up. In addition, Harris said, “[The university] gives you a large connection almost like a family, as you grow close to the people at your school.”

Current BHS students are considering similar options as well. Senior Mike Holt has recently received his acceptance into the United States Coast Guard. Joining the Armed Forces has been something he has wanted to do since he was young and he is excited to finally be a part of it.