Chinese Club Highlights Cultural Importance

Isabelle Barrett, Staff Writer

After three years of studying Mandarin and taking a trip to China, BHS juniors Sam Bechard and Emma Barrett decided to revive the existing, but disengaged Chinese Club into something more.

Meeting about once a month in room 1502, Chinese Club is “a hands-on, fun club where you still learn,” said its resident Emma Barrett. “We host activities to popularize Chinese culture and get rid of stereotypes. Students that don’t take Chinese but are still interested are encouraged to get involved.”

Members have participated in a chopstick competition and calligraphy (writing Chinese characters) so far this year. “It teaches the importance of culture,” said Aidan Kane on being a part of the club. “We can understand how Chinese way of life is different than ours.”

But the Chinese Club has more to offer than just fun. “We are looking to do community service,” said Chinese Club’s Vice President Sam Bechard. This month, the Club organized a holiday-gift drive where they accepted donations like books, clothing, and toys to give to Goodwill.

On Saturday, November 18 at Barnstable High School the Chinese Club competed in head in a series of events like character identification, speaking, and pinyin (pronunciation) against Mashpee High School’s Chinese Club. Bechard took first place in the speaking category.

The two hope to eventually branch off the club and form Chinese National Honor Society. “It’s a good thing to know about other cultures,” said Bechard.