#MeToo Raises Awareness

Lily Mathieu, Staff Writers

Recent months have brought numerous accusations against high status Americans—Matt Lauer, Harvey Weinstein, Sen. Roy Moore, and even former Pres. George H.W. Bush— as sexual predators. After several allegations arose in the mainstream media, specifically those of Harvey Weinstein, the “#Me Too” campaign took form on Twitter, Instagram, and other social media networks to denounce sexual misconduct.

The two-word hashtag spread virally, encouraging victims of sexual harassment to publicize their experiences, further exploiting the widespread nature of poor sexual conduct in American society. Collectively, the women who have spoken out became Time Magazine’s Person of the Year earlier this month. Millions of people—including celebrities—have since shared their experiences with the world, demonstrating not only the magnitude of the problem, but the misogyny seen in one’s everyday life.

ELLE Magazine also participated in the campaign using its Twitter account to voice the statements of several celebrities. “I’m still learning that I don’t have to smile when a man makes me uncomfortable, ” said Jennifer Lawrence. However the statement did not blatantly describe Lawrence’s specific experiences of sexual harassment; it emphasized that society, women in particular, are still realizing that any form of sexual misconduct should not be disregarded.

Despite frequent misconceptions, sexual harassment often occurs within the walls of high school as well. According to a study done by the American Association of University Women (AAUW), 48% of the students surveyed—including both boys and girls—experienced some form of sexual misconduct during their school year.

Spreading awareness building-wide about sexual misconduct has been an ongoing issue for Barnstable High School administration and students. Wellness department head Maria Pierozzi addressed that in every wellness course at Barnstable High School there is a unit that educates students in sexual misconduct. However, as a wellness credit is not a graduation requirement, many students do not take a wellness course during their high school career. Pierozzi continued in saying that as an unfortunate consequence, many students proceed to go to into the work field or to college—where sexual misconduct is most apparent—lacking vital knowledge.

It may appear that the solution is to have building-wide lessons—videos during TGA extended block—but that has many complications. With a five year age gap between the eighth-grade students and the senior class, Pierozzi stated that “the lesson for an 18-year-old is not appropriate for a 13-year-old” and vice versa. The difficulties continue when extensive measures have to be taken to make sure that parents agree to the teaching of such sophisticated material. Also, unexpected complications have the potential of arising with administration. If the lessons are presented in TGA classes, every teacher would need to be trained to answer students’ questions accurately. Not to mention, some questions may make some teachers feel uncomfortable or put them in a difficult position. It is imperative that the “message delivered is educational, not damaging,” said Pierozzi. The lesson may trigger the recurrence of a distressing memory for a teacher or student.

With many problems that could possibly develop, Pierrozi proposed that the best solution may only be for students to take the matter into their own hands, forming student-run groups to spread awareness of sexual misconduct, becoming exemplary students for future generations.