Do You Hear What I Hear?

Linnea Fawkes, Staff Writer

On Dec. 13, the Barnstable High School Music Department performed their annual winter concert in the Performing Arts Center.

The 90 minute show kicked off with the concert chorale and the chamber choir performing various holiday, multicultural, and feel good songs under the direction of Marcia Wytrwal. Wytrwal conducted, as well as, accompanied her singers on the piano during the concert.

The angelic voices and harmony of the tenor, sopranos, altos and bass singers were a beautiful arrangement of entertainment for the entire audience of all ages. The combination of Love Train and Put a Little Love in Your Heart in the call/response method had the audience swaying and tapping their feet to the beat. You could feel the positive energy in the crowd!

Afterwards, the string orchestra performed four lovely arrangements under the direction of Patrick Ryan.

This was Ryan’s first concert of the year at BHS with the orchestra. The students preformed: JupiterAllegro in D, Greensleeves and Loch Lomond. These were impressing arrangements played with great skill and poise by the entire orchestra.

The audience responded favorably to Greensleeves and Antonio Vivaldi’s Allegro in D. There is something very special about the plucking of the strings and the symphony sound of the piano, violins, violas, cellos and bass musicians performing rhythmically together. The hours of practice at home and the time spent in class learning these amazing pieces had certainly prepared each musician well.

The evening wrapped up with the symphonic band and the wind ensemble under the direction of Dave Schroeter.

The bands performed Breckenridge Overture, Snowfall, and Smoke on the Water. The fan favorites were clearly A Carol Festival and Sleigh Ride. 

The percussion, drums, cymbals and xylophone added extra holiday spirit and charm to these beautiful selections. Looking around the half full audience, people were moving, shaking and enjoying themselves.

Although the 25 degree weather and wind chill may have kept some people at home on this night, those that turned out for the performances including parents, relatives, community members and friends were given a heartwarming and entertaining experience by some of Barnstable’s finest!

If I could have one wish for these 3 wonderful performances, it would have been to have the chorus accompany the strings or band with their vocals on some of their arrangements. If you are interested in hearing more music, please come back on Jan. 23 and 24, 2018 to hear the fourth and fifth graders perform from Barnstable United Elementary School.

The night concluded with Director, Dave Schroeter thanking everyone for coming out to support the work of the music students.

He also recognized the Parent Booster Organization and the Friends of Barnstable Music for their ongoing support.

Please support the upcoming performance of Tusk– a Fleetwood Mac tribute band during the month of January.