DECA-nomics at BHS

Becca Aiken, Staff Writer

Imagine walking into a classroom filled with people who love the same passion as you; our DECA club at BHS does just that every Wednesday.  DECA stands for Distributive Education Clubs of America. It is a business club that goes to competitions and competes all over the country. This past school year they travelled locally to Quincy and Boston, and  even went to Orlando, FL for competitions, where they competed against other DECA teams from all over the world. Some of the teams travel from China, Germany, Canada, Mexico, and the UK.

BHS competed in 20 different categories either as a team or individually. “At each competition you do two role plays and one multiple choice written exam,” said Emily Ahearn, BHS senior.

In the club, everyone has a certain job. Returning member, senior Katie Wasierski, for example, works as the vice president of marketing. She mainly deals with advertising DECA and working its social media. DECA currently has an Instagram that updates followers on activities.

“Each returning member/senior this year is in charge of being a leader for a certain topic,” said Wasierski. All BHS DECA leaders were trained to be so while at Internationals in Florida last year.

The club is currently being run by two co-presidents, seniors, Emily Ahearn and Megan Dombrowski. DECA is advised by economics teacher, Brent Jansen.

“This year we’ll be going  to Quincy and Boston for the regional and state event and Nashville, TN for Internationals for those who qualify,”  said Ahearn.

They also will start to sell DECA merchandise in the school store.

The club was brought to BHS in 2012 by Kevin Schofield, a 2014 graduate, and economics teacher Kate Scholes. DECA started out with six original members but has grown to be a club of 50.

“We look for hard working students who have an interest in business,” said Ahearn.

“I joined because I wanted to get a feel for business,” said Jenna Leonovich, a BHS sophomore. She went  on to say, “It really does help prepare you for the business world.”