Science Department Awarded Grants

Orlando Henry, Staff Writer

The BHS science department received an early Christmas present this year. In late fall, BHS Science Department Head Susan West submitted an application to Massachusetts Life Science Center. By mid-December, West was informed that Barnstable High School had been awarded a $98,000 grant. The allotted funds can only be spent on life sciences, such as the recently-added courses: forensics and pathology.

$30,000 is allotted for new  computers for robotics and engineering classes. Over 250 students have signed up for robotics and engineering for the 2015-2016 school year. The grant will help to purchase equipment that will last for years to come. Though the grant is for the life sciences, drones (which require engineering and robotics skills) have been used for medical purposes, which fulfills the biological requirement of the grant, so West can make purchases beyond the forensics and pathology courses.

There are five sections of forensics slated for next year; all benefiting from $20,000 of the grant that will be for biotech purchases.

$40,000 has been set aside to replace broken, dilapidated microscopes that are 15-40 years old. “As teachers, we find that they just don’t work,” said West. Science teacher Warren Altneu, at times, buys parts to fix current microscopes.

“Our requests for cleaning or for new microscopes over the years haven’t been funded,” said West. West further explained the budget typically covers purchasing chemicals,  dissection organisms, gloves, tools and other such supplies. These supplies, once used, require replenishment year by year.