Stand Out Star: Murray Pins New England Heavyweight Title

Lauren Persson, Staff Writer

Barnstable High School has the honor of calling one of its students the number-one heavyweight high school wrestler in the state of Massachusetts. Senior Owen Murray has won the title All-State Champion.

With the school season at an end, he maintained a perfect 34-0 score. However, he didn’t stop there. He went on to win the New England Heavyweight title. All of his success comes from hard work and dedication.

“I like to win,” said Murray on what motivates him to work hard.

From the early time of third grade, he has been practicing. By running and doing conditioning exercises, he has been able to properly prepare himself for the matches, which led him to this stellar season. When it’s off-season, he still practices and competes in some competitions.

“I love the challenge of it,” said Murray.

It’s important to have teammates that you can trust, and that’s what he found at BHS. “I love how it’s a tight-knit group,” said Murray. Although it was his hard work that paid off, Murray was quick to credit his coaches as well.

“All my coaches who helped me through the years. and my practice partners, have pushed me and given me the motivation I needed,” reflected Murray.

Barnstable’s Athletic Director Scott Thomas had great things to say about Murray. He’s “fantastic, he’s got a tremendous attitude, treats opponents and coaches with respect. It’s an honor to have someone exemplify everything that we want to be,” said Thomas.

The New England Heavyweight title is a huge deal, considering he is one of three who has ever won the title from Barnstable High School. Even with his great wrestling success,  Murray has chosen to play football at Stonehill College, and leave his wrestling career to memory. However, he states that the “endurance and body movement” from wrestling has helped him with his football game.

Wrestling isn’t for everyone, so why did he chose to compete?

“Couldn’t shoot a basketball,” said Murray.