Sherlock Holmes Preview

Orlando Henry, Staff Writer

The game’s afoot in the Knight Theatre with the production of “The Death and Life of Sherlock Holmes.” The two casts have been hard at work bringing the classic tale to the stage. With less than a week until opening night, actors, teachers, and even an alum prepare for the big reveal.

Mr. Jeffrey Billard, the director, who teaches English at BHS, has worked in theatre for over 30 years and teaches directing at Cape Cod Community College. “I’ve wanted to do a Sherlock Holmes play for many years,” said Billard, after citing the rise of popular detective shows. Sherlock Holmes was originally set in the late 1800’s, however, Billard plans to put a twist on this by setting the play in the 1960s .

The cast consists of five teachers, 33 students and Sean Potter, who is a Barnstable High School 2012 graduate. Potter is the assistant director and currently attends Drew University in New Jersey, where he majors in theatre.
During the audition process, Billard made it clear that all roles were open to either male or female actors. Freshman Maeve Moriarty, who has appeared in productions such as “The Sound of Music” and “Cymbeline” brought this decision to life when she was cast as Sherlock Holmes (also played by alum, Caleb Seaver).

“The directors decided to keep Sherlock a male to stay true to the source material; I am referred to as “mister” and “he” and I get to wear a suit.” explained Moriarty. Moriarty explained how shocked she was to land the lead and how much fun she’s had working on the shows. Other females playing males include eight grader Emma Rufo, freshmen Nora Canaday, Hannah Wolfe, Katie Nunheimer, sophomore Cheyenne Lamperti, and junior Jessica Duane.

English teacher Martha Swindler who plays “Lady” said she is “very excited to work with Billard.” The most challenging aspect of the play for Swindler is to balance time for practice and her daughter Ellie, who also makes an appearance in the show as a “Baker Street Irregular.”

Jessica Duane, a junior, who plays Dr. Grimsby Roylott has been a member of the drama club since the 5th grade. Duane expresses her drama experience by saying “I think I can count the amount of plays I haven’t been in easier than those that I have been in.” Duane, a fan of Sherlock Holmes, wanted the role of either “Watson” or “Moriarty,” however she is content with her current role.

Makhai Dickerson-Pells, a freshman, who portrays “Officer Hopkins” explained that his reason for trying out was to gain more experience in drama. Dickerson-Pells predicted his most challenging aspect of the play will be “getting into the character and portraying the emotions of the character to the audience.”

Denver Bergamin, a junior, who also portrays “Officer Hopkins” initially wanted the role of “Wiggins,” however he is content with his current character. This play will be Bergamin’s second time in a BHSDC production. His reason for trying out for this play was to gain more experience in drama, because his background has been more inclined towards music. Bergamin’s challenge will be not “letting the audience think I am not a one role character,” Bergamin continued “please come and I hope you enjoy the show.”

This modern twist on the classic Sherlock Holmes play can be seen by the public in the Knight Hall on June 11th through the 14th at 7pm. Tickets are $10.