The Curse of Cursing

Nicole Capeless, Staff Writer

How do you write a story about swearing without actually swearing?  Well you don’t. Although curse words are known to the common language, do we actually know what we’re saying? There are many different “bad” words in our vocabulary and we use them every day, out of anger, silliness, and happiness. But why? Kids all around are constantly throwing the B word at each other and dropping F bombs as nonchalant as possible. And yes, most of us are the culprits whether we publicly admit it or not.

Kids call each other sl***, and a**holes all in a joking manner. But what happened to the real meaning of a sl** or a b****? Do we really mean what we say? Chances are, the answer is no. This century has grown up in a different time and social status. We are prone to use technology which opens us up to a whole new world. People of this century are exposed to much more than books could ever tell us. We hear all different things on TV, Facebook, Twitter, etc. But do we add on to it? Of course, because if people on the TV are saying it, so should we. And if adults can say it, why can’t we?

We throw around the terrible language to joke around with one another, not thinking much of what we are actually saying. In most cases, these words are used as a detail or an add on for effect. For example there are a lot of people who would rather say “It’s so f***ing sunny” instead of simply saying “It’s so sunny”. It’s something we don’t even think about before just spitting it out.

Recently, I aimlessly wandered around the school (with a pass of course) and tried to eavesdrop as casually as possible. As I got back to class, I realized I couldn’t remember the last time someone seriously “cussed someone out”. There was once a time where boys were punished for calling a girl a b****. It used to be a big deal to woman. But now girls these days are used to being called b****** and s****. They don’t really care because students use these words for play. Because a little swearing never hurt anybody! … Don’t worry, that was sarcasm.

Not to mention the F bomb you drop so casually has probably nothing to do with what you’re actually saying. Because unless you are talking about sexual intercourse- you’re not making sense. So will we ever stop swearing? No way. It’s second nature to people and nobody gets punished for it in this day and age so why stop? Besides the fact that you’re teachers probably think you are disrespectful, who cares right? Wrong,. Vocab is vocab and people will say what they want. But why not think before saying it? You say “what the f***?” but without thinking about it, you’re technically saying “what the sexual intercourse?” As funny as it sounds, kids and adults everywhere will forever use curse words in their own manner. They will find a way to make b****, h**, or a**hole fit their sentence. Trust me.

All of these curse words have multiple different meanings and definitions all because of the way people commonly use them. The B word’s original definition is a female dog. But now we have multiple slang meanings: one being a malicious, unpleasant, selfish person, especially a woman. How nice. Like I said before, everyone is guilty of it, including myself. But the next time you drop an F bomb “just because you feel like it” know your surroundings and think about what you are really saying. Swearing is not only foul, but rude and disrespectful and I am sure nobody wants to be known like that.