BHSDC Brings back Iconic Musical with a Punch

Mary Anglin, Staff Writer

The stage at Barnstable High School on March 21 was alive with familiar melodic tunes, impeccable acting, and beautiful costumes that we have come to expect no less of when the Drama Club puts on a show.

The Sound of Music, a timeless musical and well-known storyline, drew in a large audience as well as new comers to the Drama Club. Cast lists of the BHSDC are consistently diverse in age, experience, and personality. For senior Chris Kennedy, who can be seen playing Captain Von Trapp on stage, it was a first to be in a BHSDC play, and also to be cast a lead role. I was thoroughly impressed with Kennedy’s presence on stage. He looked very comfortable and confident, while maintaining character for the entirety of the show.

To my own surprise, I honestly enjoyed the boys’ singing, including Kennedy as Capt. Von Trapp, Hans Baumler as Fredrich, Will Moser as Kurt, and Charlie Nash as Rolf Gruber. In fact, the musical aspect of the show, which is a hefty portion, was clearly conquered by the cast as a whole. There wasn’t one point during the three-hour production where I thought the cast missed a beat.

Chloe Brumfield stole my attention as Elsa Schraeder, the woman Capt. Von Trapp is about to marry. You could easily tell Brumfield was invested in the character and had the most amazing voice when she got the chance to sing. She had an attitude that perfectly matched what the show needed. Along with Brumfield, Johnny Robinson, who absolutely radiated talent as Max Detweiler, was definitely a personality to watch. Robinson’s character was sarcastic and amusing, but also cleverly served as some comic relief for the heavy undertones of Nazi encroachment on Austria during that time.

When Isabella Macallister came out as Maria, I was so captivated by her acting that I could barely recognize her. Not only was her singing on point for the whole night, but she was also glowing with joy and managed to play a carefree yet at some points serious character. On top of that, the audience clearly loved her—laughing along with her ditzy shenanigans at the Abbey, and cheering when she and Capt. Von Trapp finally kissed.

As for the Von Trapp children, they really looked like a family and each had very separate characters that worked together to form a realistic group of brothers and sisters. Jenny Griffin was phenomenal as Liesl Von Trapp, and encapsulated the personality of the average 16 year old girl perfectly. The performance Griffin and Nash put on of “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” had me smiling all the way through. Both boys, Baumler as Fredrich and Moser as Kurt, were fantastic singers and hit notes that some girls could only dream of hitting. Alicia Pierozzi’s portrayal of Louisa and Christie Griffin’s of Brigitta had me believing they were actually sisters, whether they were bickering or playing tricks on Maria. The maturity of little sisters Marta, played by Tala Schonning, and Gretl, played by Gabrielle Chevalier, had me blown away. They were so professional and acted beyond their years.

But the best feature of the show was by far the quality of life the cast managed to bring. As an audience member, I felt involved and drawn in, so it definitely helped keep me invested in the characters for a few hours. You could tell the cast had chemistry together and actually enjoyed themselves, which translated through their acting beautifully.

And cast members weren’t the only ones working their butts off. Because there were so many transitions from the Abbey, the Von Trapp Household, Maria’s bedroom, and the gazebo, the backstage crew had to constantly work to adjust the scenery to the plot. The set itself was also beautiful and impressive, especially Maria’s bedroom, that was draped and blue and gold, and whose curtains would later be made into the childrens’ clothes. In addition to the backstage crew, the band was very put together and talented as a whole, and could have fooled me into thinking that they were a group of serious professionals. The different crews of students worked together to form a really seamless production.

There is no doubt that it is a project to recreate one of most well-known and beloved musicals of all time, but with a stellar cast and talent beyond those of average high school students, the BHSDC hit the nail right on the head with this one. The Sound of Music will continue showing March 22, 27, 28 and 29 at 7 p.m., and March 22 and 29 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10, and reservations can be made by calling (508) 771-6246.