Soph. Winston-Brooks on the Rise

Stand Out Star

Photo by Nicole Capeless

Winston-Brooks prepares for a fast break to defend the ball.

Nicole Capeless, Staff Writer

Sophomore  Izaiah Winston-Brooks is not only one of the newest members of Barnstable High School’s basketball team, but he’s also new to the school itself. Moving from Dorchester to Barnstable, Winston-Brooks left behind his old teams only to find a new one.

“Ever since I was young my mom put a basketball in my hand,”  Winston-Brooks said. With experience and practice through AAU teams, Boston Prep’s basketball, and the MABC Bengals in Boston, basketball is a priority for Winston-Brooks.

With the struggles of an average teenager, Winston-Brooks found himself having trouble balancing homework and basketball.

“I couldn’t make the team at my old school because of my grades and that was an eye-opener because life was basketball,” Winston- Brooks said. “I took it out on myself, I was unable to get into Cathedral (a private school) due to my grades, and that’s when I knew basketball is the motivation.”

Able to play multiple positions on the team, Winston-Brooks’ hard work did not go unrecognized. Starting the season off as a shooting guard, with a small forward role, coach Chuck Kipnes realized Winston-Brooks  demonstrated the skills to play much more.

“He had a standout game against Sandwich with four baskets in a limited amount of time for a crucial game. After that game, he moved to the starting line up,” Kipnes said. “He has a great handle on the ball, an above average outside shot, and his best asset is that of a slasher, giving us extra possessions of the ball.”

Winston-Brooks’ preparation before a game consists of praying and listening to Kanye West and Jay-Z. And yes, Winston-Brooks does have a new pair of shoes for every game. “I have at least 20 pairs; it’s only for the fans; to keep them guessing.”  said Winston-Brooks.

If you don’t find Winston-Brooks in a classroom or the high schools courts, you can check the Barnstable Rec Center, where he practices in his free time with other teammates.

“The Barnstable basketball team is great; the leaders on the team are great, and the coaches are great. They don’t look at the players as rookies, they look at them as people who could lead a team in the future,” Winston-Brooks said. Kipnes said  “he puts in extra time before and after practice for any personal help on the court; he also is very good at communicating. If he feels something is off, he is not afraid to ask for help.”

Between adjusting to new teachers, students, and coaches, Kipnes also said, “ If you came into practice at any given day or time, you’d think he was here for many years. It’s just a really good match for him.”

On the starting line for varsity as a sophomore,Winston-Brooks knows this is definitely the chance to work towards a dream.

“I want to play NBA,” he said.

With a record of 12-4 (as of Insight’s press deadline), the Barnstable’s Boys Varsity basketball team has been ranked #23 in the top 25 MIAA Basketball poll by ESPN Boston. On the website it gives the rankings and a little side info, in which Winston-Brooks is descriptively mentioned.

Written by ESPN Boston staff, it reads “The Red Raiders make their season debut in our poll after compiling one of the quietest surprise starts of the first half of the season. Keep an eye on sophomore Izaiah Winston-Brooks, who could be a special talent down the road if all goes right.”

With such recognition at such young age, Winston-Brooks feels lucky. “I went from not making the basketball team at my old school to being in the newspaper at my new one.”