Going Unrecognized

Madison Harrington, Staff Writer

If you’ve ever gone to a BHS boys hockey game, you might have had a hard time finding a seat in the bleachers.  Students and parents alike go all-out, creating signs and banners for the players.  It’s easy to see how excited people are to be at a the game while cheering.  It’s not only hockey that gets this kind of attention though;  other fall and winter sports such as football and girls volleyball have a large student following.

This following, however ,  dwindles for the other teams. Sports such as girls and boys tennis, spring track, swimming, and boys volleyball don’t get even half the attention.

“It is rare to have people other than players and their parents show up to a tennis match to cheer on the team,” said sophomore Halle Dennis, a third year player on the girl’s tennis team.

Sophomore Jenna Dennis, also a third year player says, “at most, maybe five people show up, and that’s on a good day.”  She said that “maybe someones boyfriend would show up and bring his friends to cheer on the team, but that’s about it.”

Over the years the girls tennis team has won many championships and South Sectionals.  Last year alone, the team had an undefeated season and made it to Semifinals at States.

Boys volleyball is rarely even mentioned as a sport at BHS.  You’ve probably only heard how well the girls volleyball has done and not the boys.  Junior Scott Sawyer, a third year volleyball players said that last year his team won the u17 New England Regionals.  Sawyer said “it’s still not as as popular as female volleyball.” He believes “some males are more concerned with the stereotypes that come along with male volleyball.”  Again there are rarely any supporters in the stands.  Last year, however, “some of the senior girl volleyball players would go to games and they would bring along friends.  It was nice to show support since a lot of us go to the girls’ games he said.

Senior Picabo Miskiv, a member of the girls swim team, said “there is no place in the school for the awards and trophies the team has worked so hard to get.”  Miskiv continued, “both the girls and the boys teams work their butts off every season; but, personally, I think we are unrecognized.”

Even though track takes place during the winter as well as in the spring, the team also doesn’t get the appreciation it deserves.

Senior Denver Bergamin who runs track said, “Although the sport doesn’t seem like a spectator sport, it would still be nice to get some people to cheer us on.”