College Rape is a Terrifying Reality

Madeline Terrio, Staff Writer

In the past six months, the University of Virginia, Hobart and William Smith, and Vanderbilt have all been in the news regarding major date rape scandals. Eyebrows have been raised over how the schools chose to handle each situation, the credibility of the victims, and the character of accused.

Last October, Rolling Stone Magazine published an article titled “A Rape on Campus.” The piece cited an account of a UVA student, just referred to as Jackie,  who claimed to raped and assaulted by Phi Kappa Psi pledges at one of the fraternity’s date functions/social events.  As the article began to attract attention, the victim’s story began to unravel. In a statement released by the school,  Phi Kappa Psi stated that they had not hosted any event on September 28, 2012, the night of the alleged attack. It was also released that UVA’s Greek System doesn’t begin rush until January of second semester, so there would be no pledges during the month of September. An editor at Rolling Stone, Will Dana, released a statement himself shortly after.

“In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie’s account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced,” Dana said in the statement. Other advocates on campus are concerned that the misreported case will draw away from what is truly important.

“One of my biggest fears with these inconsistencies emerging is that people will be unwilling to believe survivors in the future,” Alex Pinkleton, an advocate and a friend of Jackie, told The Washington Post. “However, we need to remember that the majority of survivors who come forward are telling the truth.”

Last July, The New York Times published a piece titled “Reporting Rape, and Wishing She Hadn’t,” exposing Hobart and William Smith College for mishandling an assault claim by encouraging the victim not to come forward to the police and later clearing the offenders of any punishment.

“Most of the students I work with say, ‘Had I known how bad the school process was, I would not have reported at all,’ ” said Annie E. Clark, the victim’s lawyer who also deals with other assault cases at HWS.

Hobart and UVA are not the only schools who have been under the microscope for rape scandals. In January of 2015, two Vanderbilt University football players were charged with multiple accounts of sexual battery and aggravated rape of an unconscious woman while others watched and videotaped.

“I am hopeful that the publicity this case has received will lead to a discussion of how we can end sexual violence on college campuses,” said the victim, who has remained nameless.

The topic of rape on campus is definitely one that will not go unnoticed this year. At this year’s annual Sundance Film Festival in Utah, a documentary titled “The Hunting Ground” premiered. The documentary is an exposé on campus rape culture, shedding light on the many accounts where an institution’s administration ignored the victim’s cry for help.

The film also takes on the fraternity system and college football programs. One student in the trailer refers to the nationally-known fraternity “Sigma Alpha Epsilon [SAE]” as “sexual assault expected.”