Astronomy Class Prepares for Astro Jam

Cate Harrington, Staff Writer

There are many interesting and challenging senior electives offered at Barnstable High School, but one of the most well-known of the bunch is astronomy. Michael Gyra, BHS teacher of the past 25 years, is the man behind all things “astro” here at BHS.

“In the class we focus on developing a deeper insight into how the universe works,” said Gyra. The students explore the universe by doing projects and going star gazing throughout the year.

“Star parties” and “moon parties” are held at Sandy Neck and the astro park where the students can view constellations, and with a powerful laser Gyra can point out planets, galaxies, and star clusters.  “It’s really cool to be able to look up and really know what you’re looking at,” said senior Allie Charron. “[Gyra’s] class gives the night time sky more meaning.

”The class also participates in what is known as the “Astro Buddies” program where each BHS student is paired up with a third grade student at Centerville Elementary. Throughout the year, the buddies write back and forth to one another as the BHS seniors mentor and help teach the younger students about astronomy. The buddies meet up at star gazing parties at Centerville Elementary where they entertain the kids with projects and activities they have been working on. Most of Gyra’s students have been working on big projects for the Astro Jam which will be held on May 23.

“I’m making a model of the eagle nebula which is where stars are created,” said Charron. “It’s going to be in Mrs. Butler’s room and I’m trying to make it feel as though you’re in space the moment you walk into the room.”The goal of the Astro Jam is to get all of the kids from Centerville involved and interested.

Charron recommends this class to upcoming seniors. “You haven’t completed your journey at Barnstable High School until you’ve had Mr. Gyra as a teacher. He makes the class what it is. He makes you love science,” Charron said.“Come to class curious, and willing to put in work,” said Gyra. “If you do this you’ll be fine.”