Symphony to Leave PAC

The Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra Looks to Host their Shows at their Own Venue

The+Cape+Cod+Symphony+Orchestra+performs+one+of+its+many+concerts+in+the+PAC.+

Photo by Contributed by Jerome Karter

The Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra performs one of its many concerts in the PAC.

Jenny Griffin, Staff Writer

Since 1999 the Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra (CCSO) has made its home at Barnstable High School’s Performing Arts Center. The elegant performances grace the PAC at least once a month. However, the tireless efforts of symphony employees and student staff to reconstruct and set up for the symphony may be coming to a close at BHS.  After much debate and discussion,  the CCSO has finally decided to create a space of its own.

“It’s time that the symphony has a place to call home,” said Symphony Executive Director Jerome Karter.

Karter explained that this is not a first effort. “After many failed plans, we have come up with a cohesive strategy to build the venue in the near future.”

However, the creation of this new venue will not occur overnight. According to a press release “the plan calls for the new performing arts center to be completed by Dec. 2017.” The physical location of the venue has not been determined yet, but Karter mentioned it would be in the Hyannis area.

Since the CCSO does share the PAC with the Barnstable High School Drama Club (BHSDC) and the Music Department, who gets priority to use the space and when, still lingers. The CCSO uses the PAC (and sometimes the Knight Hall Auditorium) at least once a month for about 60 days each school year.

“They have first dibs on the PAC, pick whatever dates they want years in advance no matter how that affects the school’s programs, [they] grab all the best dates, including around the holidays, and, however unintentionally, make it difficult for the Music Department and Drama Club to present shows,” explained BHSDC director Ed O’Toole.

“We have one of the finest theaters, not just high school theaters, but in New England. It’s a shame that the town’s students do not have at least as much access to it as a private group, and that a private group as prestigious as the CCSO is forced to put on its programs in a high school,” said O’Toole.

Since it has been at BHS, the Symphony has hired many student employees like seniors Scott Finn, David Orlando, Caleb Seaver, and sophomores Sydney Crook and Ethan Steele.

Orlando, a Symphony employee and stage manager for BHSDC, is a bit apprehensive regarding the plans to build a new space.

“The symphony invested so much money in the custom concert shell for the PAC, that they would have to liquidate it in order to move, and nobody wants to buy something custom created for the PAC . Selling is out of the question.” He believes that it will require years before the Symphony should even begin to discuss the idea of a new space.

Crook explained how much experience she has gained while being a stagehand for the orchestra. “Knowing that I can help contribute to such a grand performance quite amazes me,” said Crook.

Although the new symphony space will be completed after these students have graduated, Orlando said that the student-hire program will continue to occur as long as the symphony plays at BHS.

All parties do agree that it is time for the symphony to have a home of its own.

The new space will not only be a new hub and gathering place for arts appreciation but it will also “be a significant contribution to the ongoing economic development strategy that seeks to enhance the quality of life for Cape Codders,” stated John O’Brien, former CEO of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce in a press release.

Since the plans are still in the preliminary stages, the Orchestra will still be in partnership with BHS for the time being. The struggle of date availability will still be an ever present factor explained O’Toole. “Both have had to cut back on their traditional offerings because of the Symphony’s intransigent and ever increasing schedule,” O’Toole said.

However, Karter said the Symphony appreciates the accommodations the school makes for them. “Our gratitude is endless,” commented Karter.