Students Stay in Shape With Winter Work Outs

Photo by Zoe Calianos

Junior Ryan Bourque stays in shape this winter at the gym.

Ally Iseman, Staff Writer

Motivation is key, whether one is fulfilling a resolution to stay in shape, or staying in shape during their off season. Student athlete or not, staying true to a fitness regime can be a challenge. Motivation can be rooted in personal interest or maybe excelling in next seasons tryouts. Whatever it is, students at BHS keep motivated and train in a variety of ways.

Junior Ryan Bourque works out five days a week at YMCA Cape Cod, where he focuses mainly on weight training. His motivation is to stay fit through the winter and into summer months. Bourque sticks to a healthy diet and eats a lot each day for energy in the gym and to build muscle. Even without a spring sport on the horizon, being fit for the summer season is motivation enough, according to Bourque, and he said he’s seeing results.

Senior Nathan Yingling is a student athlete who certainly values off season training. From the time football season ends to the time lacrosse season begins, he is in building M every day after school where he focuses on working all the different muscle groups throughout the week. His motivation last year was to be the best football player he could be.

“I really hoped to play and knew I needed to work hard in the offseason. This year is more pride and legacy. I’ve been working out with some of the younger guys just motivating them to do the same. Hard work pays off and I’d like to see my team do what we couldn’t do and win the state championship,” said Yingling.

Once lacrosse season begins, he works out at the Gym Express every day after practice, and in the summer, the team has beach workouts in the morning around 6:30 A.M.

A  member of the girl’s field hockey and Lacrosse teams, junior Cassandra Kornhiser stays active during her time off the field. She goes to Fitness 500 gym five days a week, and focuses mostly on cardio with some varied forms of strength training. She strives for consistency.

“It’s better just to push yourself to go on a regular basis. It keeps my metabolism up and allows you to eat a well rounded diet and burn calories,” said Kornhiser.

Balancing diet and adhering to her workout regime effectively prepares her for the upcoming spring season. In addition to going to the gym, she said she attends a weekly lacrosse clinic that includes scrimmages, and works on offense, defense, and stick skills. Kornhiser finds the combination of the clinic and the gym to be to her advantage, especially through spring tryouts.

Motivation to stay fit may not come easy to everyone, but setting goals and sticking to them is definitely a step in the right direction whether one is preparing for a sport or working out year round.