More than Coffee and Copies

Students get Hands-On Job Experience during Internship Courses

Senior+Matt+Trotto+poses+at+his+internship+site+at+the+COMM+Fire+Department.+

Photo by Contributed by Matt Trotto

Senior Matt Trotto poses at his internship site at the COMM Fire Department.

Virginia O'Day, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted more than just a classroom experience for your education? Do you wonder about your future after high school? If you have an idea of what your career path may be and want a genuine work experience before you graduate, there’s an opportunity for you right here at Barnstable High School. As class scheduling begins, Mrs. Erin Eastman suggests that juniors consider the senior internship program.

The internship program has a long history at Barnstable High School, but it was just recently taken over by Eastman, who has developed it into an in-depth and hands-on experience for students. The students now go through an academic component at the beginning of the school year, learning the Cape & Islands Work Investment Board’s Youth Employability Skills curriculum. After this extensive training, they go through a mock interview event before being sent off to their internship sites. Some students found their internship sites and even employment through these interviews.

“It’s the perfect match up,” said Eastman, “and at the end of the school year, they’ll be completing a project to showcase their work.”

Throughout the course of the school year, Eastman visits the students at their internship sites to observe their work and check in on their progress. “Seeing my students in their elements, getting a genuine feel for their future careers is my favorite part, without a doubt,” said Eastman. “The depth of their learning amazes me. It’s incredible, and some of their work is college level.”

Matt Trotto interns at the COMM Fire Department, and said it “helps me realize I want to be in this career” as a firefighter paramedic.

Every day, Trotto performs many tasks to help the firemen. He does drills once a week, helps to get materials around the firehouse, and goes on calls in the back of ambulances and fire trucks. He says that going on these calls is his favorite part of being an intern.

Angie Wurfbain interns at Green Briar Nature Center for environmental work and couldn’t be more ecstatic about the opportunity. “I love the freedom it gives me,” Wurfbain said. “It feels great to be trusted with this responsibility, and to get real experience of something that I’m so passionate about.”

Eastman has noticed this enthusiasm in her students and believes that it feeds the progression of their work.

“The students are well aware that they’re doing something unique and of value, and they’re very proud to show it,” said Eastman. “It fills you with warmth.”

The senior internship program has already made considerable progress, and according to Eastman, the advancement is only beginning. “I would love to see it grow, and for more students to be aware of the program,” Eastman said.

She would also like to see all of BHS’s five academies; Creative Economies, Environmental Science & Technology,  Hospitality & Tourism, Early Childhood Education, and Health Sciences; feed into the internship program.

Another major goal of hers is to broaden the variety of internship sites. “I would love students with technology skills to go out as a team to do project-based work at non-profit sites, as well as volunteer work,” said Eastman.

Alexina Pilo interns in the Early Childhood Learning Center, right here at BHS. “The experience is unlike any other,” she said. “My internship has allowed me to learn things that I couldn’t have ever taken away from sitting in a classroom.”

“I’m so impressed with my students’ learning and commitment,” said Eastman. “I love my position as the career counselor and I couldn’t be happier.”