From Silver Screens to Chalk Boards

Child Stars Earn Their Degrees

Grace Elletson, Staff Writer

As everyone applies for college there are a million factors affecting your decision: cost, size of the school and academic programs are only a few of the thoughts weighing on a student’s mind. But another deciding factor could be if a celebrity attends your school of choice, and if so, could this sway your decision? 

If you’re looking into The University of Southern California (USC), this specific campus is home to a few celebrities, and one starring actor.  Alexander Ludwig, most famous for his role as Cato in the Hunger Games, attends USC. He majors in Theater and he is a member of the Phi Kappa Psi brotherhood which is a fraternity known for its wild parties. Another attendee is Corinne Foxx, daughter of actor Jamie Foxx. She is a Public Relations major and also a cheerleader. Miranda Cosgrove, star of the Nickelodeon hit iCarly, is currently majoring in Film Studies at USC,  but she said she plans to return to acting in the future.

If you’re looking into New York University you might run into Dakota Fanning walking around campus. She is reportedly participating in an “individualized studying” program. The actress started acting when she was just five years old, first doing commercials and then moving on to movies. It seems that the university might attract child stars since Dylan and Cole Sprouse are also NYU attendees. The brothers made their claim to fame as trouble-making twins on the Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Now, Cole studies humanities and archeology while Dylan studies video game design.

The University of California gave Justin Combs, son of Sean “P. Diddy” Combs, a $54,000 football scholarship.. Even though his dad is a multi-million dollar entertainer, it seems the school was after this talent on the field rather than his last name.

Raven Symone, best known for her starring role in the Disney Channel show That’s So Raven, is attending the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. The star is 28 years old,  and shows off her enthusiasm for going back to school via her Instagram posts, showcasing her pride for furthering her education.