A Mission Full of Memories in Dominica

Emily Penn, Staff Writer

Over February vacation, Barnstable students took part in the United Kingdom Soccer Development’s Social Change Through Soccer Tour to Dominica. Dominica is a small island in the Caribbean Sea that was previously owned by the French before becoming independent in 1978. This independence severely hurt their economy.

USKD, a program run by BHS soccer coach Lee Docherty with help from BHS English teacher and BHS assistant girls varsity coach Meghan Fligg, is a soccer organization. UKSD runs many charity events as well as a Kidz Play 4 Free project where any kid can play not only grass soccer, but street soccer and beach soccer for free. This year’s second annual service trip to Dominica was chaperoned by Docherty, Fligg, and Christy Wallace who used to live in Dominica where she ran many charity programs. Six students, four of whom attend Barnstable High School went on the trip as well.

Two years ago, Docherty went to Dominica over the summer to explore the island and see what types of soccer programs they had. He met Wallace who was living on the island at the time, and the Social Change Through Soccer Tour to Dominica was born.

Caroline Neville (far left), Caroline Young (second from right), and Halle Dennis (far right) pose with some of the USKD students in the Dominican Republic.

BHS students, sophomore Halle Dennis and sophomore Caroline Neville, were eager to be a part of the trip. Dennis has been playing soccer since she could walk. After hearing about the trip, she wanted to help families and teach underprivileged kids to play soccer. “There’s nothing better than giving a soccer ball to an orphaned child and watching his face light up like mine does when I play,” said Dennis.

Neville has participated in many of the tournaments and games that UKSD puts together. “I’ve had so many people give back to my family during some tough times and I wanted to do the same for others,” she said.

While the trip was a combination of both community service and exploring the island, both Dennis and Neville agreed that playing with the kids and helping out the families were the highlights of the experience.

While on the island, this UKSD group worked with a variety of organizations. One day was spent at a local soccer academy. “The boys had nothing,” commented Fligg. Kunta Charles, the man who runs the academy, got in contact with Docherty before the group’s arrival. The students spent an afternoon running free academies for the boys and provided them with cleats. Neville had an eye opening moment during this afternoon.

“I was by myself out on the field since we were taking a break,” said Neville. She was drinking a bottle of water when one of the boys came up to her and asked for the rest of her water. “I instantly said yes. The simple things that we have here in the USA are what many kids in Dominica dream of having,” commented Neville.

A memorable day for both Dennis and Neville was working with the children at an program called In.Light.In. The kids are known as “the ‘lost children’ from the island,” said Dennis. Wallace is in charge of this program that gives a stable place to kids who come from low socioeconomic homes and receive little parental guidance or have no families. Every Friday afternoon the children go to In.Light.In. for a meal and activities.

According to Dennis, the UKSD group spent hours playing soccer with these kids. “All they wanted was to be talked to,” said Dennis. “We gave them piggy back rides and simply, attention.” As the students made the In.Light.In children a meal, they quickly learned that for most of these kids, it was their first meal in three or four days.

Before the trip, Docherty had collected seven large duffel bags full of soccer equipment: soccer balls, cleats, shin guards and clothes, all collected for children in Dominica. Many of the donations went to very needy children at In.Light.In. “Getting this equipment for some kids is Christmas for them,” said Neville.

Fligg, who went to Dominica last year as well, felt connected and welcomed by the locals. “It was like we were coming back home,” she said. “You could see the impact of what we did the year before. A lot of kids even recognized us.”

Members of UKSD hope to continue going to Dominica every year. While Fligg commented that it is great to give back, she wants more for the Dominican children. “We hope to eventually get players looked at by colleges in the US and England,” said Fligg. “The talent many of these children have is incredible.”

For anyone who is interested in going on next year’s trip, a soccer background is not needed. “Just be open to working with youth,” said Fligg.

“This trip exceeded my expectations and changed my view on the world,” commented Neville.