Road to the Garden Cut Short

Emma Rixon, Staff Writer

The BHS Girls’ Hockey team had an unbelievably outstanding season. This year, the girls went undefeated for most of the season, and had the chance at playing at TD Garden, home of The Boston Bruins. They won 16 out of a total of 22 games, with four ties and two losses.

Morgan Richard, a senior, played defense and had been on the Barnstable Girls’ Hockey Team since she was a freshman. During the Duxbury game, Richard scored the winning goal. Barnstable beat Duxbury 2 to 0, a wonderful accomplishment as Duxbury tends to beat Barnstable. Richard was excited about being undefeated, “It feels great,” she said, “especially being a captain. It’s my last year and we had e a huge chance at actually going to the garden and winning the state title.” Richard was a captain this year, along with other seniors, Lindsey Phelan, Kylie Hallam, Catie McShera and Nicole Derosier. Sadly the girls’ opportunity of playing at TD Garden was cut short, March 3, 2015. The team lost the Division 1 quarterfinals to Axton-Borrow 4 to 1.

The girls hockey team during a game vs Lincoln Sudbury.

The girls were hard on themselves, “We knew we should have beaten them and we weren’t on our game,” Richard explained. She was shocked they didn’t win, and wasn’t ready for the season to be over. Although they didn’t make it to The Garden, they had a phenomenal season. “We came together and played our hearts out. We had a great group of girls,” said Richard.