Stand Out Star: Brener De Souza Has Your Back

Brener De Souza, #27, plays both defensive back and receiver for the Raiders.

Photo by Beachspikes, contributed by Brener De Souza

Mary Anglin, Staff Writer

Being a part of BHS athletics as a fan or as a team member takes a lot of zeal and spirit. Our school has a reputation for being a powerhouse in sports, specifically in the past, football. However, the team would be nothing without heart, which is exactly what separates sophomore Brener De Souza from his fellow teammates.

With three years as a raider under his belt, De Souza, #27, believes in being on the team is everything.

“It’s a great experience; it’s a brotherhood and a family. The big picture is just bonding with my teammates.”

De Souza is one of only two sophomores who play varsity football, skipping over JV from the freshman team. Even more impressive, he is the only starting sophomore on varsity.

“Derek Estes did it, but it’s basically unheard of,” said fellow defensive back and #6, Mike Pena.

“He definitely has a drive to be great,” said head football coach Christopher Whidden, “he wants to maximize his potential, and will put in the work to reach his goals.” Whidden has known De Souza from his start on the freshman football team in eighth grade and in lacrosse as well. “He wants to know how to correct what went wrong and shows the effort to change them.”

De Souza plays both defensive back and receiver, and said that he and the other DBs are extremely close, regardless of the season.

“Brener and I met on the football field and continued that friendship off the field. He’s a leader on the team even as a sophomore,” said Zack Murphy, #24.

It’s that dedication that pushed De Souza into his position on the team this year. According to Pena, De Souza practiced all summer, worked out everyday and trained to give 110 percent in every play.

“He keeps our heads up. He has a lot of heart,” said Pena.

“It was tough moving to varsity,” recalls Whidden. “Brener has always been a little better, stronger, faster than his age, but now most of these guys are bigger. He had to adjust to the speed and size of the competition, but he hasn’t backed down from that.”

“It’s all about heart and being willing to put in the work. I believe what you put in is what you get out,” said De Souza.

But age isn’t the only dividing factor between Brener and any other Red Raider.

“He holds himself to a much higher standard than other kids on and off the field and is the epitome of what a Barnstable DB should be. He’s a stud,” added Murphy.

Although he has plenty of time left with the Raiders, De Souza “plans to play all through high school and after that too, if God’s willing.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he went D1 in college,” said Murphy.

“He’ll continue to get better, and hopefully develop into one of the leaders on the team,” said Whidden.

While Brener is definitely aggressive and competitive, it’s not all about the score for him, “It’s all fun. If you’re not having fun there’s no point in doing it.”

“He’s one of the lucky ones who enjoys it; its a hobby for him,” said Whidden.