Printer Mayhem

Liam Russo, Staff Writer

“Excuse me, what do you think you’re doing? This library is reserved for a teacher; you’re not allowed to be here. Get out!” I might be delusional and slightly exaggerating, but I never knew that I needed VIP access to simply print my homework through the library. I know the library is undergoing a revamp, but when did community printers become such hot commodity? And why am I not allowed to use them?

Let’s backtrack: I’m one of many flustered kids contributing to the epidemic without a functioning printer at their house. So after finishing a long, grueling essay for one of my English classes, I had planned on printing it during lunch block at school, so I’d have a hard copy for my English teacher.

As I entered the library, I noticed five of my classmates had the same idea, but the computers were nearly full from the designated class. There were two free computers, so we figured we would just switch off printing since we’d each only need the technology for a measly two minutes. But before even approaching the computers, we were kicked out and told that the library was reserved for the block.

However, we came prepared for plan B. We noticed that the secondary computer lab in the library, used for ILT classes, was completely open, so we slowly walked behind the temporary walls and logged into our emails, ready to print from there. But yet again, we were removed with a malicious smile.

So I smiled back with a plan C. The teacher had not yet arrived to the library which prompted me to ask one of my friends in the reserved class if I could borrow her computer to print the three page paper. “Sure go ahead, we’re not even doing anything right now,” she replied.  And within seconds of gloriously printing, I was grabbed by the straps of my backpack and basically excommunicated from the library for good.

It took 45 minutes to print that essay but not even in the library. And fortunately, my English teacher was able to open the locked, unoccupied 1700’s lab so the six of us could finally print our essays or I don’t think I’d be here today to tell the tale.

If printing papers were the only issue on the table I’d end my traumatic rant right here. But most teachers can also attest to the frustrating experience. Because students and teachers share the same printers throughout the school, a teacher who prints a mass of packets another teacher’s answer key or a confused student printing multiple essays to the wrong printer mixed with another teacher’s answer key or a confused student printing multiple essays to the wrong printer, leading to a nefarious cycle of printer mayhem. I would say that students should send their essays online from this point on, but most teachers enjoy correcting a hard copy; and, personally, I think it’s easier for the student and teacher to fix mistakes by looking at hand-written edits.

Of course, for those lucky enough, there is a third option of printing to a printer in one of the graphic design or music tech classes, but those teachers have a limit for each paper printed to their room and can’ t afford to lose ink to an outside class assignment–I learned that the hard way. And not even every classroom with computers even has a printer corresponding.

I can’t keep watching these tragedies unfold throughout the day. We have plenty of functioning computers and printers throughout the school, we just need to utilize them efficiently. Students should have a designated area or set of computers to print work throughout the day either in the library or in an empty computer lab. However, I understand that other classes need those labs for teaching, so I suggest transforming the IRC room into a functioning printing lab. The room is already monitored by a teacher and located in the accessible 1200’s. Students could easily walk in and print their assignment within minutes. And because it would be monitored, loitering would be restricted. In the time being, teachers and students should have separate printers within the library that are clearly marked for the school community to decipher.

The school’s generosity allowing us to print for free is a privilege. And I can’t bear to see us lose it due to daily aggression among teachers and students for a task so seemingly simple.